World's Best Mandoline...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am new to this forum so bear with me…..
Since this thread is older and there may be newer more updated information I am bringing it back.
I am looking for a mandolin slicer. I used to have an inexpensive one. I think I got it from Pampered Chef over 20 years ago. It served its purpose at the time but eventually the blade wore out and it didn’t work well anymore.
I know there are better quality ones out there so I am looking for some suggestions. I have read through some of the posts from this old thread and see a few people recommend the Bron Mandoline Slicer which is a higher end model but everything I have read about it so far are good reviews. I really want a mandolin that is capable of slicing paper thin.

My biggest concern with any of the models is the blade dulling and are replacement blades available for many of these models?

I am new to this forum so bear with me…..
Since this thread is older and there may be newer more updated information I am bringing it back.
I am looking for a mandolin slicer. I used to have an inexpensive one. I think I got it from Pampered Chef over 20 years ago. It served its purpose at the time but eventually the blade wore out and it didn’t work well anymore.
I know there are better quality ones out there so I am looking for some suggestions. I have read through some of the posts from this old thread and see a few people recommend the Bron Mandoline Slicer which is a higher end model but everything I have read about it so far are good reviews. I really want a mandolin that is capable of slicing paper thin.

My biggest concern with any of the models is the blade dulling and are replacement blades available for many of these models?

I have an Oxo from Amazon, replaceable blades, works great.

I have an Oxo from Amazon, replaceable blades, works great.

Do you know which model it is? I looked at a couple of OxO brands yesterday in a cooking store . One was the V-slicer style which was $39.99 and the other was a regular mandolin with 3 different blades for $69.99. I am primarily looking for one that is capable of slicing very thin slices for making beet chips and different types of gratins.
They really range in price from $30-all the way to commercial ones for $300.00 or more. I don't need one that expensive but I want to make sure it is better than the Pampered Chef one I ended up giving away to a local thrift store.
:rolleyes:

Do you know which model it is? I looked at a couple of OxO brands yesterday in a cooking store . One was the V-slicer style which was $39.99 and the other was a regular mandolin with 3 different blades for $69.99. I am primarily looking for one that is capable of slicing very thin slices for making beet chips and different types of gratins.
They really range in price from $30-all the way to commercial ones for $300.00 or more. I don't need one that expensive but I want to make sure it is better than the Pampered Chef one I ended up giving away to a local thrift store. :rolleyes:

Of course you'd ask! :LOL: Mine has a twisty knob, brings up different blade types and heights. Am thinking it's the $69 one. It makes good microwave potato chips paper thin, and does everything else well.

Hi Foodie
Welcome to DC. I have both Mandoline's Straight and V slicer I like the V slicer
Best I can slice a tomato paper thin and Oxy Is a good brand.

Josie

Here's one: Microwave Potato Chips Recipe - Allrecipes.com

You can use the glass turntable from your microwave rather than a plate. No need for parchment paper. They're really good, and now you reminded me what to do with all the fingerlings from Costco!

Thanks so much! I had no idea this could be done and I just love chips! Buying an actual bag of them is out of the question as I have no will power where chips are concerned. Once the bag is open, well... let's just say they never get stale or soggy at my house ;) Doing up just one potato seems pretty harmless however :LOL:

Thanks so much! I had no idea this could be done and I just love chips! Buying an actual bag of them is out of the question as I have no will power where chips are concerned. Once the bag is open, well... let's just say they never get stale or soggy at my house ;) Doing up just one potato seems pretty harmless however :LOL:

Thanks for the reminder, Janet! I used to make these all the time, with the sprinkle seasonings from Kernal Seasons. And you can make one potato last forever.

Himself loves chips; me, not so much. Think I'll get him busy based on this comment below the recipe:

This recipe has to have 5 stars for keeping my husband entertained for a full hour!

Gotta get him to do more than sit in his chair and be a cat cushion. :glare:

Dawgluver, Addie or Josie

Have you ever tried slicing Kiwi with your Oxo? I like making fruit tarts.

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I buy the right mandolin that will perform best for all my recipes that I am bound to make using this gadget.
I'm looking for a one time purchase.
I like the fact you can get replacement blades for these.....

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/EMSDudette/media/fruittart.jpg.html

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I buy the right mandolin that will perform best for all my recipes that I am bound to make using this gadget.

What a pretty tart. I haven't tried slicing kiwi, I would think it would work fine. Use light pressure so you don't smush them, and probably a thicker cut, not paper thin.

If you can, get a cutproof glove made for using with mandolins. It works so much better than the guard. Don't use your bare fingers!

Last edited:
What a pretty tart. I haven't tried slicing kiwi, I would think it would work fine. Use light pressure so you don't smush them, and probably a thicker cut, not paper thin.
Yes that was what I was thinking too. Makes sense
If you can, get a cutproof glove made for using with mandolins. It works so much better than the guard. Don't use your bare fingers!

Yes I am definitely going to buy one of these gloves with my purchase.

After doing more research on these mandolines I found that the
Swissmar Borner V Power Mandoline, V-7000 on Amazon has an overall higher percent of positive reviews than the Oxo. An average of 4-1/2 stars from 126 reviews. The only downfall is you cannot get replacement blades for it. But out of the all the reviews where this was mentioned, everyone said they had their mandoline for over 10 years with lots of use and buying a new mandoline after that many years was worth it because is worked so well.
How I hate making decisions! You'd think I was buying a car :rolleyes:
Berry season is coming soon us and I can't wait to make a Kiwi tart :chef:

Foodie ,
I have never sliced a Kiwi With Mine I usually Peel it and tell
DH that It is Mine, mine, Mine. Sharing is highly overated.
Since it will slice a ripe tomato it should slice a Kiwi. It is cheap
enough that it is not to Painfull to have to replace. I find that the
straight cut is better for the harder things.and the V slicer works
better for soft things.

Josie

Pretty, pretty.

Pretty, pretty.

I have not sliced a kiwi, but have sliced a tomato paper thin. Also lemons to cook in a syrup. I slice the lemon thin enough to use as a decoration for lemon poppy seed bread, lemon cake, etc. For thick skins like kiwi, I use a serrated veggie peeler. Real easy to do. :angel:

I think you will be very happy with your choice! We look forward to hearing about your ventures, please make sure to post recipes and pics!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will order the
Borner V blade mandoline and protective glove today from Amazon.
:yum:
I'll update once I have used it and tell you about the quality and whether it meets my expectations;)

Back
Top Bottom