"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Best pan for cooking steak?

I pan fried a 6 ounce sirloin medallion in a 12" stainless steel Farberware sauté pan and it was impossible to clean even after soaking it in warm water overnight and scrubbing it with Barkeeper's Friend powder. I made sure that I heated some sunflower oil in the pan before adding the meat, so I don't understand why the pan was so hard to clean. I cooked the meat on medium-high heat for three minutes on each side.

Should I have used a nonstick pan? Does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced pan that can be used to pan fry a small piece of steak and is easy to clean?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I pan fried a 6 ounce sirloin medallion in a 12" stainless steel Farberware sauté pan and it was impossible to clean even after soaking it in warm water overnight and scrubbing it with Barkeeper's Friend powder. I made sure that I heated some sunflower oil in the pan before adding the meat, so I don't understand why the pan was so hard to clean. I cooked the meat on medium-high heat for three minutes on each side.

Should I have used a nonstick pan? Does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced pan that can be used to pan fry a small piece of steak and is easy to clean?
Cast iron is the best for cooking steak. When you had cooked the steak, you should have added some water to the pan to deglaze it. that would have made it easy. Get the pan hot again and add water to it. Use a plastic or wood spatula to scrape the residue off as the water continues to boil.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:

I love my Lagostina SS cookware. I've never had that problem with it. Plain old cast iron would be good if properly seasoned.

When something gets really stuck, I fill it with water and then sprinkle baking soda - a lot and bring it to a simmer. I let it go for a long time and add more baking soda and more water as needed. I poke at it with a wooden spoon or silcone spatula to see how it's doing. It does a great job on enamelled cast iron too.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I love my Lagostina SS cookware. I've never had that problem with it. Plain old cast iron would be good if properly seasoned.

When something gets really stuck, I fill it with water and then sprinkle baking soda - a lot and bring it to a simmer. I let it go for a long time and add more baking soda and more water as needed. I poke at it with a wooden spoon or silcone spatula to see how it's doing. It does a great job on enamelled cast iron too.
Wow I checked the prices on Lagostina, and it's way out of my price range. Does anyone have a less pricey alternative?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

Cast iron is the best for cooking steak. When you had cooked the steak, you should have added some water to the pan to deglaze it. that would have made it easy. Get the pan hot again and add water to it. Use a plastic or wood spatula to scrape the residue off as the water continues to boil.
I used to have a cast iron pan but it was hard to use because of my arthritis, very painful to lift and move around. I ended up giving it away.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When you had cooked the steak, you should have added some water to the pan to deglaze it. That would have made it easy. Get the pan hot again and add water to it. Use a plastic or wood spatula to scrape the residue off as the water continues to boil.
This works. I would also refer you to Chief Goodweed's tip of the day about seasoning metal cookware. Great advice!
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Wow I checked the prices on Lagostina, and it's way out of my price range. Does anyone have a less pricey alternative?
I didn't realize it was that expensive. Stirling bought it in 1989 and it still looks and cooks great.

A cast iron pan should be a lot cheaper and good for even longer than the Lagostina.

Oops, just noticed you mentioned that CI wasn't good for you.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

The weight can be a real problem. Does your SS pan have a multilayer bottom?

I've cooked a lot of steaks in SS and they come out great. You started with a hot pan and hot oil which is right on. If you follow that up as I said with water in the still hot pan it should clean up easily.

Also consider getting a can of Barkeepers Friend. It's the perfect scouring powder for SS cookware.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The weight can be a real problem. Does your SS pan have a multilayer bottom?

I've cooked a lot of steaks in SS and they come out great. You started with a hot pan and hot oil which is right on. If you follow that up as I said with water in the still hot pan it should clean up easily.

Also consider getting a can of Barkeepers Friend. It's the perfect scouring powder for SS cookware.
I did use Barkeeper's Friend as I said in my original post, but what I didn't do was deglaze the pan with water after cooking.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
This works. I would also refer you to Chief Goodweed's tip of the day about seasoning metal cookware. Great advice!
She has a stainless pan. You don't season stainless.