Big Heavy Pot or Electric Deep Fryer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I've had EuroPro deep fryer for some time. It did a fine job but a while back, it died. I've been wondering if I should buy a new electric fryer or switch to using a big heavy pot (I have a 7.5-quart LeCrueset) with a deep fryer thermometer.

Any thoughts???

If I go with a pot and thermometer, digital? bimetal? or bulb type?

Last edited:
I've had both large and small electric deep fryers, put after using each of those single-purpose devices, I have come to prefer a glazed 6-8 quart Dutch Oven. Being able to adjust the oil level, see the item you're frying against white sides and bottom, and offer a more stable temperature environment (the cast iron temperature doesn't fluctuate as much as a stainless steel tank.) And I can generally fry larger or more pieces than a typical deep fryer can hold at one time.

Admittedly, I don't do a lot of deep frying anymore, but the down side I've found with cast iron is in trying to find the "sweet spot" for frying. I agree the temp is more stable, but that's also what makes it a little more difficult to work with. If the oil is too hot or cold, it takes some playing around and then waiting to get it where you want it.

I've also found the same thing when making cheese, which is kind of a precise science as far as keeping temps stable. The thermometer initially reads where I want it, but then it will start to creep up, at which point I then have to move the pot off the burner, wait until it comes down, then put it back on the burner. I tend to get more responsive changes from my stainless steel stock pot.

Years ago I had a Delonghi fryer I liked. I thought one of the nicest features was the ability to seal the whole thing up when finished, to preserve the oil for the next frying. Obviously there's a relatively short shelf life for oil, but if you're doing frying two or three times a week, it's nice not to have to refill it all the time.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

After two deep fryers died on me, I bough an aluminum pot and insert at Restaurant Supply store. Works like a charm. Let me see if I can add a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0548[1].jpg
    IMG_0548[1].jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0549[1].jpg
    IMG_0549[1].jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited by a moderator:
I've had EuroPro deep fryer for some time. It did a fine job but a while back, it died. I've been wondering if I should buy a new electric fryer or switch to using a big heavy pot (I have a 7.5-quart LeCrueset) with a deep fryer thermometer.

Any thoughts???

I use my Thermoworks Chef Alarm digital probe on a pot on the stovetop. The nice thing about the Chef Alarm is that you can set it to alarm for both high and low temperature points, keeping the temp within the range you want. It came with a bracket for clipping the probe to the side of a pot.

Any thoughts???

I can't remember when I last deep fried anything so perhaps I have a skewed PoV but it seems to me that the big heavy pot would be more useful and, as you already own one, cheaper. However, if you would use it a lot it might be different

I use an anodized aluminum pot. Don't use a thermometer. It doesn't have an insert. I just use a slotted spoon to remove the items. I don't deep fry that often so it seems more economical for me to do it this way. I already have a place to store the pot. If I got a fryer, I'd have to find a place to store it! ;)

img_1410151_0_b0254e7b65065a4e5f5ceaabc46e8f0d.jpg

img_1410151_1_d594652c73db2712024ad64abbe33cc7.jpg

I also had a Euro Pro, and it worked great. When it eventually died, I got a different brand, and it was a real PITA. I ended up donating it to the St. Vincent de Paul. Since then, I've used a LeCrueset DO on the stove, and I hate the splatter mess.

Truthfully, I wish I had my old Euro-Pro back. I'm trying not to deep fry as often - the older I get, the harder it is to keep my weight down, so I haven't replaced it. But I'm sorely tempted to. The pan on the stove is a mess after using the deep fryer.

I don't do much deep frying in my kitchen. When I do I prefer to use a pot or pan. Almost any pan in the cupboard can be pressed into service and I like to fit the pan to the task. A deep frying pan for a piece of fish or a small saucepan for a handful of fresh cut french fries is really all I need. Using a pan suited to the task helps me control the amount of oil and washing a pot is IMO easier than washing a deep fryer.

I don't do much deep frying in my kitchen. When I do I prefer to use a pot or pan. Almost any pan in the cupboard can be pressed into service and I like to fit the pan to the task. A deep frying pan for a piece of fish or a small saucepan for a handful of fresh cut french fries is really all I need. Using a pan suited to the task helps me control the amount of oil and washing a pot is IMO easier than washing a deep fryer.

+1..

+2 to Aunt Bea and GG. I cook for one and have limited cupboard space. Whenever I do fry, I just use my cast iron skillet or dutch oven.

A large, flat bottomed Atlas carbon steel wok works well for me. A plus is that I have a draining rack that clips to the side, and hangs over the inside of the wok, allowing me to remove such items as tempura chicken nuggets, or shrimp, or if using low temp oil, velveted meat, making room for the next batch, and allowing any excess oil to drip of. It has a good lid, which seals the oil for the next batch of cooking, if there is not so much particulate matter in the oil (bits of batter floating around, or flour that's settled to teh pan bottom, etc.).

I also have a Lodge, cast-iron dutch oven. But it won't hold as much as does the wok, so I don't use it as much.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We have two Fry Daddy's. One is always at the ready with fresh oil.
We used to use a heavy, medium sauce pan for deep frying and it works just fine too. I still use it for larger pieces like fish fillets.
I like the convenience of plugging in the Fry Daddy, waiting 10 minutes and start to cook. Its fast and very little splattering.
We deep fry a lot!

Thank you all for your responses. You've been a big help. I think I'll try the big pot method. I have a heavy cast iron pot and a tri-ply SS pot. I can do that for the price of a frying thermometer. I saw one that had a top temp limit of 572ºF That should do the trick.

If that doesn't work, then I can decide to spend for an electric deep fryer.

If that doesn't work, then I can decide to spend for an electric deep fryer.
For what it's worth, this is the model I have. I think it works great, especially if you fry often for just a few people. I just don't use it much anymore, but it was always nice to just be able to close up the lid when done and get a few fryings out of a single filling of oil. The temperature control is a nice feature, too.

De'Longhi Cool Touch Deep Fryer in White - BedBathandBeyond.com

I bet I'm the only regular member here who has never "deep fried" anything, and I've been cooking all my life. I wasn't raised with deep fried foods so I guess I've never seen the need. Once in a while I enjoy deep fried fish and chips (hold the chips), but I order it out. I just don't care for French Fries. Shallow frying (like for chicken) with some oil in a skillet is fine with me.

What foods do the rest of you regularly deep fry?

Back
Top Bottom