"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-22-2007, 03:23 AM   #1
Cook

Calphalon try-ply as good as all-clad?

I have a couple of calphalon try-ply pans (3qt chef and 10" omlette) and a couple of small ($20 BB&B special ) all clad pans. Both brands are aluminum laminated with a thin, thin layer of 18/10 stainless. I cant tell a functional differance between the two yet the all clad is over twice as expensive. Have any of y'all seen a quality differance between the two brands?

Old 03-22-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
Executive Chef

All CLad made in Pennsylvania, Calphalon made in China. Calphalon makes a good pan, but some of their lines have flimsy handles etc. AllClad makes a great pan.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I have both. All-Clad SS skillets and a Calphalon saute pan. They both do what's expected of them. I see no performance diffrences. I also have other brands of clad SS and they all work well too.

Bottom line - you have several lower cost alternatives to A-C.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Jennyema gave me a heads up on big All Clad sale at Cookware and More. AC 10" fry pans for $57. I ordered two of them, but unbenonced to me, my wife bought me a couple Cuisinarts for my b-day that I used last night. The All Clads will be waiting for me when I get home so I can compare the two. I used the Cuisinart for some pork chops last night and it worked very well.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I find...

Absolutely no difference cooking with the two brands - I probably have an equal number of pots/pans from both lines. And believe me, I researched, debated with myself, went to the stores lifting, turning ,etc, looking at every nook and cranny. I think the difference in the thickness is negligible. The biggest difference is probably the handles and the tempered glass lids (which i didn't expect to like and have surprisingly enjoyed - you can actually see through them while cooking/baking).

If I'm going to be honest, the reason I have both is my internal kitchen snob lis just a little infactuated with the whole All-Clad thing, and so I've been buying some here and there. But for cooking - no difference! imho
Old 03-23-2007, 02:30 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniecakes
If I'm going to be honest...my internal kitchen snob is just a little infatuated with the whole All-Clad thing...

Hee hee, well said, anniecakes! I suffer from the the same affliction!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Talking How does Tivoli Compare?

It's been a while since I've posted...so I apologize for the late inquiry.

Speaking of comparisons, does anyone have experience with Tivoli cookware?

I like the sleek handles on the Tivoli brand cookware; they look almost like All-Clad's handles. The price is comparable to Calphalon. So far I got the 3-quart sauce pan that feels heavy and sturdy. It is a tri-ply so I thought that means quality but I've only used it a few times. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!