"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 11-08-2007, 06:09 AM   #11
Executive Chef
why not just phone walmart and ask them, or go there in person if it is close enough? It's their product. They should be able to look at the box and give you more info.

Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
I have one Tramontina piece and it works well. It is different from these. There is little information about the materials used so its difficult to judge the quality.

Do you have a Costco nearby? they have good quality sets for little money.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #13
Senior Cook
Tramontina is very good stuff..they may make some lower quality things too.
I have the tri ply set they made for Sams and it is exactly like All clad. They make commercial and home use products. Also alot of restaurant supplies. If you can afford it and want good nonstick.They have a set just like Calphon (sp?) at Sams..a 15 piece set for 149.00. I like the metal handles so you can put them in the oven at higher temps. Also like the metal lids cause I'm afarid I might break a glass lid.
Just check out the cookware..see how handles are attached, how thick they are,,etc before you buy them.

edit...Oh..lol..just read your last line about your Grandmother and the spending limit..
sage™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #14
Sous Chef
[quote=Bilby;505357]I don't know the quality of these products as we don't have Walmart over here quote]

You dont have a Walmart?!?!?!

I need to move there!!
NAchef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #15
Master Chef
Tramotina is a low end comercial brend, I have couple of their frying pans, the comercial ones. They work fine. I like them, how ever what you have there in the picture and the price doesn't look promising. $18 bucks for 7-Piece set, how good can it possibly be?
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #16
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post

But, other glass/ceramic tops have other restrictions, too - some warn against using cast iron or has a pot size limit due to the weight, and some have restrictions on the surface of the bottom of the pot (it must be perfectly flat - so those double-burner reversable grill/griddles and some cast iron are out).

I cook with a skillet that isn't perfectly flat (ridges) and it works fine.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by lbb87 View Post
My grandmother is buying her daughter (my aunt) some non-stick cookware for Christmas. She's looking for something simple since my aunt doesn't do much cooking, she doesn't even know how to cook. My aunt had mentioned that she'd like some non-stick pots with lids.

We were thinking about these:
Tramontina 7-Piece Nonstick Cookware Set - Wal-Mart
Tramontina 8-Piece Nonstick Cookware Set, Black - Wal-Mart
Tramontina 8-Piece Lock 'n Drain Cookware Set - Wal-Mart
Farberware 12-Piece Cookware Set, Black - Wal-Mart

Any opinions?

My grandmother is most likely going to want to get the cookware from Walmart and doesn't want to spend more than $50 for it.
I got a set of Farberware cookware for a wedding present in 1984 and I still use some of it. I haven't used the skillet since I got my All-Clad saute pan, but I use the saucepans. It's not great quality, but if your aunt doesn't cook much, it will hold up for a long time.

Do you know why she doesn't cook much? If she doesn't enjoy it, then an inexpensive set will do fine. If she just doesn't know how, then a better quality set will be more enjoyable to work with for learning.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #18
Executive Chef
I used to sell cookware when I was a baby @ Gemco. Knowing the brands have changed over the years, I don't know this first brand at all. My MIL has used Farberware all her life with much success. Her's is the old version, not nonstick, but their product has always proven to be a decent one. I have 4 of their electric skillets, yea, 4. I love them and think everyone should have at least one of them. Beats the heck out of using an oven on a hot day, but don't know if they're even for sale anymore
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #19
Executive Chef
flat bottoms are essential, but any material should work.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #20
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
I used to sell cookware when I was a baby @ Gemco.
Speaking of which, I still have my Gemco card. Is it worth anything more than the dollar I paid for it, which they offered to return to me when they went Tango Uniform?

Until recently (say 6 years or so) I still had the Zenith console television I bought there. It had a remote that worked with a tuning fork!

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote