Cookware for Ceramic Smoothtop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CAPerez

Assistant Cook
I just purchased a new ceramic smoothtop stove. I'm now looking at new cookware. This has been an angonizing decision. I've been using Circulon, but I think I want to move to stainless steel.

I saw a set of cookware at Macy that I really liked and the reviews I have read have been favorable - Belgique stainless steel copper bottom. I'm concerned about the copper bottom on my white smoothtop. Will it mark it up? I've reviewed my manual and Maytag's website, but there is no mention of copper bottom pans.

I would appreciate your input. Thanks. -cp-

SHould be fine. My sis has a glass top and loves it. She uses all kinds of cookware. THe silicon cream cleaner that comes with a glass top range works well. use it.

I use everything on mine. All Clad stainless. Cast Iron. Le Creuset. Cheapo nonsticks. Griddle. Lots of stuff they claim you shouldn't use. Pssssahw.

But mine isn't white though, it's black.

SHould be fine. My sis has a glass top and loves it. She uses all kinds of cookware. THe silicon cream cleaner that comes with a glass top range works well. use it.
I've been using all my same cookware on my ceramic top stove at the coast and so far, no problems. I bought it used so I didn't get the cleaner they come with. Since you mentioned that it's silicone, I'm wondering if it's the same stuff that you use to clean and remove scratches from DVDs and Plexiglass?

I've used a couple of the Belgique pieces and didn't think they were that good.
I much perfer Cuisinart Chef's Classic which is around the same price.
Also-the Belgique came with a warning about the possibility of melting and bonding to a ceramic cooktops when used at too high heat.

Ron,
Thanks for your input on the Belgique line. The copper bottomed pans did scare me. I just spent a small fortune on my new stove and don't want to ruin it in the first couple of months.

I now have my eye on the Cuisinart Multiclad Pro Stainless. This appears to be a better line of pans. I have not actually been able to see them in person, but the reviews look good.

I now have my eye on the Cuisinart Multiclad Pro Stainless. This appears to be a better line of pans. I have not actually been able to see them in person, but the reviews look good.
I have a couple of these pans and I bought some for 2 of my kids for Christmas. I think they are as good a quality as Calphalon tri-ply. They are nice and thick with rolled lip for pouring and the handle doesn't get hot. One main difference I see is that they have the stainless lids vs. the glass lids. Also, they have a life-time warranty. HTH

Fisher's Mom,
It's good to hear you like them. There is a big price difference between them and some of the other heavier stainless steel pans. I actually wanted the stainless steel lids. I like for my pots and pans to be hand washed and I was afraid my teenage daughters would break the glass lids. :) I've seen a 12 piece set for $300. I know this is a reasonable price, but I'm hoping they might go on sale or at least free shipping.

CAPerez, I looked at that set and it looks excellent! So many times there are some weird pieces or odd sizes in sets but this one looks great. If you like Calphalon or All-Clad, I think you will be very pleased with these.

We have a black glass top, and I didn't think I could use a grill on it, but now I'm going to give it a try.
DH and I really like Calphalon pans, and they're great on the glass/ceramic tops, but we've had to send back of couple of skillets because the finish started bubbling in the middle, probably because we got them too hot. They are guaranteed for life though, and the company is very good about replacing them.
For Christmas, he bought one of the new ones...I can't remember what they call it, but the 12" skillet was $149.00! It sure better be good. I'm going to try it out after while when I make my salmon patties.

Glad to find this thread so I won't have to create a new one. I was hoping that someone could give me suggestions on whether to use my cast iron skillet and griddle on my new glass cooktop. My kids have asked me how I plan to make the homemade tortillas on this new range and I'm clueless. Should I just get an electric griddle instead to avoid scratching the glass cooktop? Thank you for your help.

RTFM - Read The Furnished Manual that comes with your cooktop! It will tell you what type cookware you can and can't use.

For example - if your glass/ceramic cooktop is inductive - you must use pots/pans made from magnetic materails.

Some warn against using anything without a flat bottom - some older cast iron has a ring around the bottom edge of the pan that can cause overheating. We've talked about this several times before.

Some warn about pot material and size due to weight.

One thing that is universal is - if you don't want to scratch your glass/ceramic stovetop ... pick pots/pans up to move them - don't slide them across the surface.

Thank you Michael. I did read about not sliding hot pans on the cooktop. I will keep looking to see what cookware I can and cannot use.

Our new house has a ceramic top stove. I hate it, but I'm too lazy to chuck it out and get a stove I'll like--mainly because it would require running a gas line into the kitchen and some remodeling of the counter space, due to what I will (eventually) replace it with being larger.

The instructions that come with it state to not use all sorts of stuff on it. It claims my cast iron stuff is bad for it. It says I shouldn't be using my All-Clad on it. I don't care, I use it all anyways. And best I can tell, there has been absolutely no effect on the stove at all.

I've been using all my same cookware on my ceramic top stove at the coast and so far, no problems. I bought it used so I didn't get the cleaner they come with. Since you mentioned that it's silicone, I'm wondering if it's the same stuff that you use to clean and remove scratches from DVDs and Plexiglass?
:)You can buy the cleaner just about any where its called Weiman glass cook top cleaner it comes in a small white bottle with a black label.Its great stuuf sometime a bit of elbow grease involved if something is burnt on.

:) One thing you never want is to use the aluminum from throw away pie pans or the disposable aluminum jiffy pop pans that type of aluminum will permanently scratch you glass top.

:) One thing you never want is to use the aluminum from throw away pie pans or the disposable aluminum jiffy pop pans that type of aluminum will permanently scratch you glass top.

That surprises me. I'm not doubting your comment, just surprised, since alum. is such a soft metal. I would expect some alum scuff marks but not scratches.

Oh, well. Live and learn.

That surprises me. I'm not doubting your comment, just surprised, since alum. is such a soft metal. I would expect some alum scuff marks but not scratches.

Oh, well. Live and learn.
:)Just checked my manual actually it doesn't scratch but could leave permanent aluminum marks.It says also to clean metal marks from aluminum or copper pans before heating cook top again or they may not come off. The manual also says to remove sugar spills and soils from jellies and candy syrups as soon as possible as it can cause pitting on the glass.Dont know about anyone else but I read my manuals and keep them all together in a large drawer whether its a large appliance or an alarm clock I can find the manual.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom