De Buyer Mineral Steel Fry Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cookware update

How did you make out with the De Buyer cookware? It sounds good.

today i was looking to buy de buyer grill and regular fry pans to get rid of all our non sticks at home. we tried no brand carbon steel wok and loved the carbon steel cooking. my wife is pregnant so we are being carefull with our cookware chosing the safest one.

anyway, what caught my attention was. upon browsing this forum i noticed a lot of hate posts. funny to read comments that came out the wood-works bashing de buyer (most only have 1-2 posts), with some promoting other brands. de buyer pans i have seen have excellent craftsmanship. one complaining of arthritis hands, well dont buy it cause they are heavy duty but the weight is listed on their website, so its no surprise. thats what you get with cast iron and carbon steel. what i love about cast irons and carbon steel is that, the cookware is chemical free unlike most non-stick which releases dangerous fumes in your household and leaches in to yoru food. most euro brands already are ahead of us and using pfoa free nonsticks.

hate it or love it, i always liked european brands of cookware way more advanced and to anything made in usa. fissler, kuhn rikon for pressure cookers, de buyer, mauviel for cookware and so many others. i do however like our own lodge for castiron cookware. i say try it on your own before reading some of the biased reviews from biased posters, possibly working for other companies. we sure are going to try the mineral b 11"pan which i was searching on Google. anybody know of the site selling that size, let me know.

Last edited:
I've got the three pans seasoned. Tomorrow morning I will be cooking fried eggs and will see then how they perform. Once I'm satisfied with that I will be ditching some of the pan collection I have, donating them to our Relay Garage Sale in a couple weeks.

So far the Debuyer has been spectacular with searing meat and fish and they are releasing perfectly. I'm glad I stuck with the smaller pans, they are heavy.

im debating between de buyer mineral b 10.2in frypan vs 11 in. we will just use this pan for omelets and fried eggs.

im not sure if my wife could handle the weight of the heavier 11, she might prefer the smaller. we will be family of 3 so maybe the 11 one might suit us more, cookin all eggs at once. its very hard to find 11 inch mineral b size online in usa. if anyone know of one, let me know.

i saw one site selling the regular mineral line in 11 inch (not mineral b), not sure whats the big difference? on company's site, the mineral line has a oven safe symbol but the mineral b dont. from the pictures, it looks like mineral b might have a shorter handle but i could be wrong cause i read somewhere that its the same thing just different packaging. also read mineral b has silicon coating on the handle, mineral line doesnt have any coating (i think)..

princess which one are u using?

Last edited:
I recently purchased a 10" Mineral B and I'm looking forward to using it. Does anyone know if the "B" with its coated handle with the little yellow-colored rubbery button on it can go into the oven and under the broiler?

Thanks,

Dee in FL

I recently purchased a 10" Mineral B and I'm looking forward to using it. Does anyone know if the "B" with its coated handle with the little yellow-colored rubbery button on it can go into the oven and under the broiler?

Thanks,

Dee in FL

Yes, it can! Welcome to DC!

I purchased a couple of DeBuyer pans, seasoned them, used them, then gave them away to my son. Too heavy for this old man. Is the weight an issue to you one way or the other?

Ended up with a couple of Vollrath pans, love them, and the weight isn't prohibitive. At least to me the weight of the DB was just too much. After a long session my forearms would ache.

RPro, the 10" DeBuyer skillet is just slightly heavier than my stainless steel pan and lighter than my cast iron one. Since I've never been able do any fancy flipping with a skillet anyway, the extra weight hasn't been that much of an issue.

I am having a bit of an issue though. I decided to season it using the method shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4

I got the interior where it felt nice and slick, but part of it rubbed off after the first use during cleaning leaving the center area rough. That was really disappointing since I now need to touch up the seasoning again. I hope that I can get it back to the same state of slickness again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting tidbit for all who want the ease and functionality of Cast Iron, but with the weight and even heat distribution of aluminum. I was at GFS, a warehouse store for food, and was looking at some restaurant grade aluminum pans. Every pan I saw had the instruction to season the pan for best results. I have been seasoning my aluminum cookware for some time now, and it is nearly as stick free as my cast iron. But it is so much lighter in weight. And with the seasoning, like CI, it is non-reactive with acidic, or alkali foods.

Just a thought.;)

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Someone tossed out a de Buyer pan and it looked alright but it may required some new seasoning. The blue has turned to silver, but I wonder if seasoning would fix that? The photo is attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Someone tossed out a de Buyer pan and it looked alright but it may required some new seasoning. The blue has turned to silver, but I wonder if seasoning would fix that? The photo is attached.

Hmm. If it's nonstick, it may be shot. If not, try some Barkeeper's Friend. Otherwise, I've had great luck boiling baking soda and vinegar in a grungy pan, then season with some grease.

Welcome to DC!

Looking at the photo, I'd start with a stiff wire brush (hardware store) and take all of the seasoning off from the bottom and sides.

A big "ME TOO" in admiration of these fry pans!

Received my first one yesterday, an eight inch Mineral B Element. My goal is to have a dedicated egg flipping pan without replacing it (non-stick stuff) every two years.

OK, the pan is pretty heavy and I will have to work on my technique. FWIW, I almost went with the same size Lodge carbon steel model. It is substantially thinner and should be lighter, but... if I ever want to sear a lump of flesh at high temperature I'm more comfortable with the thicker (more warp resistant I think) pan.

The DeBuyer directions no longer instruct the user to boil potatoe skins in the pan, but I did it anyway. It was gross!:ohmy: Someday I'm going to boil potatoe skins in a stainless pan and see if all that black stuff came off the skins or out of my new fry pan.

I followed up with as light a coat of Canola oil as I could manage. I couldn't even see the oil. Baked it upside down at 400F for an hour, let it cool.

I wound up with a spider web pattern of cooked oil all over the pan. It was dry to the touch though, no stickiness. Next time I'll pull the pan half way through and give it another thorough dry wipe.

Undeterred, I wanted to begin stovetop seasoning it, i.e., cooking, and I had these two peeled Russetts handy. I decided to make potatoe chips. My wife, (who is always amused when I discover stuff she already knew long ago) offered up some of her goose grease hoard. Why not?

Fried very thin potatoe slices in small batches (eight inch pan/ potatoes cannot touch one another) for an hour or so. None stuck, but then again, they were pretty much floating in bird fat.

Very tasty!

The pan is now an even golden brown (inside and out) but still decorated with the Canola oil spider web.

This morning was the real test. Fried eggs.

I'm a happy camper! Three over easy eggs in quick succession with just a light wipe of Bacon grease. They needed just a nudge to release and then swirled around as well as any I've seen in a non-stick pan.

As I mentioned, the pan is a bit heavy to flip with but I didn't break any yolks whilst flipping. I did break one while plating it. I'll need some practice before I can move up to flipping doubles.

Just had to share.

A big "ME TOO" in admiration of these fry pans!

Received my first one yesterday, an eight inch Mineral B Element. My goal is to have a dedicated egg flipping pan without replacing it (non-stick stuff) every two years.

OK, the pan is pretty heavy and I will have to work on my technique. FWIW, I almost went with the same size Lodge carbon steel model. It is substantially thinner and should be lighter, but... if I ever want to sear a lump of flesh at high temperature I'm more comfortable with the thicker (more warp resistant I think) pan.

The DeBuyer directions no longer instruct the user to boil potatoe skins in the pan, but I did it anyway. It was gross!:ohmy: Someday I'm going to boil potatoe skins in a stainless pan and see if all that black stuff came off the skins or out of my new fry pan.

I followed up with as light a coat of Canola oil as I could manage. I couldn't even see the oil. Baked it upside down at 400F for an hour, let it cool.

I wound up with a spider web pattern of cooked oil all over the pan. It was dry to the touch though, no stickiness. Next time I'll pull the pan half way through and give it another thorough dry wipe.

Undeterred, I wanted to begin stovetop seasoning it, i.e., cooking, and I had these two peeled Russetts handy. I decided to make potatoe chips. My wife, (who is always amused when I discover stuff she already knew long ago) offered up some of her goose grease hoard. Why not?

Fried very thin potatoe slices in small batches (eight inch pan/ potatoes cannot touch one another) for an hour or so. None stuck, but then again, they were pretty much floating in bird fat.

Very tasty!

The pan is now an even golden brown (inside and out) but still decorated with the Canola oil spider web.

This morning was the real test. Fried eggs.

I'm a happy camper! Three over easy eggs in quick succession with just a light wipe of Bacon grease. They needed just a nudge to release and then swirled around as well as any I've seen in a non-stick pan.

As I mentioned, the pan is a bit heavy to flip with but I didn't break any yolks whilst flipping. I did break one while plating it. I'll need some practice before I can move up to flipping doubles.

Just had to share.
thanks for sharing, de Buyer iron pans are amazing.
Have u tried seasoning with flax seed oil?

VeganVick,

I have not tried Flax Seed Oil. I understand it seasons very well. I have no other use for a bottle of expensive oil beyond seasoning this single pan. As I underestand it, you can't cook with the stuff as it can only be digested raw. We really do not do much else with oil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom