"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 12:32 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Does using a damaged steel pot have health implications?

I have a relatively cheap stainless steel pot that I use for steaming (the kind of thing you might get at Walmart). Compared to my Quisinart MultiClad Pro it's quite thin and light but I prefer it for steaming because of it's ideal size and lid design features. Unfortunately have let the pot boil dry a couple times while using it as a steamer am worried that damage to bottom (discolouration that looks like corrosion) might be releasing metallic toxins into my food. I am loath to trash it because I don't think I can find anything quite like it. Doe any one know if cheap stainless steel pots have an aluminum core (that damage might expose) or whether there is anything to worry about using it when it appears discoloured/corroded.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PotJPG.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	27572  

Old 08-14-2017, 01:06 AM   #2
Head Chef

If it is a real stainless steel pot, you should be okay. Yes, they can "burn" if you let them boil dry -- been there, done that.

The question isn't a core, since it is really thin. The question is what the blend of metals it is made of. Not all "stainless steel" is the same. If it was really cheap, as in "ACME brand made in China" cheap, there is no telling what it is really made of (Just ask Wile E. Coyote).

I don't think it will hurt you, but you may never be able to get rid of that corrosion looking discoloration, which may annoy you enough to ditch it. What I can see in your photo doesn't make me worried.

IMO, if it was cheap, and you will lose sleep over it, toss it and get a new one. I have a similar pot that has a steamer insert and a pasta insert. It does what I want it to do, but if I ruined it somehow, I'm not all that attached to it.

CD

Old 08-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
Executive Chef

If using it for steaming the food won't touch the liquid underneath so I would thing it would be OK.

(Incidentally the "theory" about aluminium saucepans causing Alzheimer's disease (and other forms of dementia) was debunked years ago)
Old 08-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

That discoloration is not a problem. You could probably find pots like that in most kitchens.

A plain SS pot is harmless. There are no toxins in it. As Mad Cook said, the supposed link between Alzheimer's and aluminum has been proven to be completely false.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Put a couple of coins in the bottom of the pot when you're steaming something. When the water runs dry, the coins will rattle and alert you to the problem.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanx everyone.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Put a couple of coins in the bottom of the pot when you're steaming something. When the water runs dry, the coins will rattle and alert you to the problem.
Ooo.....I like that idea!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Ooo.....I like that idea!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
If using it for steaming the food won't touch the liquid underneath so I would thing it would be OK.

(Incidentally the "theory" about aluminium saucepans causing Alzheimer's disease (and other forms of dementia) was debunked years ago)
I actually use the water from steaming (as it is full of vegetable flavour and vitamins). That's sort of why I was a little concerned.

Tags
health