"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Doubling up

I have attached a photo of my oven with two disposable cake pans side by side init, as well as a pic of the disposable next to a real cake pan. The disposable is about one inche shorter , half an inch narrower and half an inch less deep than the real one. I need to make 16 of the disposable pan cakes over the next couple of days. I am guessing i will use half a cup less batter. What does wisdom say about putting two in the oven side by side?

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:31 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Ill try again...one day i will get photos right the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180114_124713.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	28903   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180114_124649.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	28904  

Old 01-14-2018, 03:42 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I would go with the smaller pan. It will be more economical in the long run. That half cup of batter could (or just might) become the 17th cake for your family to enjoy. And by going with the small pan, it will leave you more room and space to separate them.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #4
Head Chef

I'm not much of a baker, but on a couple of occasions I've used two half sheet pans, one over the other on two racks. There is a significant difference between the top and bottom rack, and there is a noticeable difference front to back (at least in my oven). Halfway through I swapped the pans from upper to lower, and turned them 180 degrees front to back, which worked well.

When I make things like lasagna in two half size dishes on one rack, I don't notice much of a difference from one side to the other or front to back. My guess is that you will notice more of a difference when the oven is closer to full.
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Side by side should be OK as long as there is an inch or more of space all around the two pans and in between them for heated air to circulate. This will ensure more even cooking of the cakes.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Side by side should be OK as long as there is an inch or more of space all around the two pans and in between them for heated air to circulate. This will ensure more even cooking of the cakes.
I don't know if she took out one shelf for the picture or not, but if she has only one shelf, she will do better with the smaller pans, side by side like you said Andy.

And who do you know except for those with a self cleaning oven, has an oven that looks that new?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
Senior Cook

It is new :)

Tags
other