Ebelskiver Cast Iron Skillet, help/tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
Cooking friends - I inherited some cast iron (in a round about way, not my family) and one of the pans is an ebelskiver pan.

Took some searching to figure out what it was, I thought it was for escargot.

It's Danish and the traditional recipe is for these super versatile round pancakes. Can be stuffed with anything. I did cheese, chocolate and jam tonight. But next time will do sausage. ?

Anyone else have one/use it? Any other uses/use ideas?

What fun to play with new-to-me cookware ?

Please let me know how the photos turn out, this is my first time on the app and first time posting in a long time!

Cheers!

ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1461121351.767169.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1461121365.337507.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1461121378.489727.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1461121389.254231.jpg

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

I stumbled across a ebelskiver video online a few years back, and thought " I had to get one of those pans" ( which I did). Now a few times a year, me and my daughter make them for breakfast as a team effort ( now 18, at the time she was probably 12 or 13).

Ours is a non stick and got it from 'Williams - Sonoma'. Actually, come to think of it, I think they were doing demos at the store, and then I went home, researched it, and went back and got on.

Wait , wait, I was in the lower east side, a small dive kinda place, and ordered banana filled ebelskiver's ( didn't know what they were, and had to try them. Liking them so much, i went home , did research, went to Williams - Sonoma and bought the pan, along with a few jars of the Ebelskiver mix ( one was chocolate, the other basic).

The pan came with two " flipping" tools.

We found it better and easier to actually use the long wooden skewers ( pointy end) to flip them. Best technique to get the roundest end product is to flip them about 1/4 turn every few seconds ( maybe 10 or 15 seconds), while the center is still runny, so it can flow out of the center, and make contact with the pan. As the center is closing up, add your " filling"

Sometimes takes a few of them before mastering the process ( either they come out more egg-shaped, or they burn).

We've only made sweet varieties, stuffed with either banana, raspberry jam, chocolate chips ...Then at the end, sift some powdered sugar on top.

Its almost like making Dunkin Munchkins.

( Yours looked perfectly cooked btw)

Good luck, and have fun :)

Thanks so much! Yes definitely a learning curve to the flipping. I used a butter knife but I read about using a crochet needle. Good thing the mistakes taste just as good.

They are good sweet and I'd like to make them for my niece and nephews. Ages 2-4, I think they would love these.

The cups are a bit small for egg poaching. Although eggs could probably be fried in them, sunny side up maybe, but it would be a trick to get them out without breaking the yolk.

I'd like to play with savory and see how they can turn out as an appetizer.

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

You are in luck. We do have a member that comes from Denmark and now lives in Canada. You can count of her logging in and when she spots what you have, she will have oodles on info and probably recipes to go with it. She goes by the name of TaxLady.

Great looking food. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom