"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post

Speaking from experience, I do not recommend the plastic measuring cups from Oxo with the interior markings. They get cloudy after heavy use and they can melt when pouring in hot liquids, heating contents in the microwave, or when washed in the dishwasher. I inherited two Oxo plastic measuring cups when I took over the Amoretti Test Kitchen and they were a disaster. I had the management order me some Pyrex glass measuring cups, a one cup and a two cup. At home I have a 4 cup, a 2 cup, and two 1 cup Pyrex measuring cups.
I bought my Oxo cups for measuring accuracy, not for cooking in. I have Pyrex bowls and the 4 cup measurer for when I need to nuke something. I virtually never have to measure anything while it's hot enough to melt plastic (if I do I have the set of metal cups for flour and the like that I can use). I've been using mine regularly for 4 years now and they look exactly like they did when they came from BB&B. I guess I'm more careful with how I use mine.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:50 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
One thing to consider when buying new is that all measuring cups are not created equal. Consumer Reports did a review a few years ago and the Pyrex ones were actually rather inaccurate. I don't remember the details any more, but several brands were 1/8 cup or more off.

As I recall, the top recommendation was the Oxo ones with the angled side that you can read the graduations from the top as well as from the side. A great feature - you can set it level on the counter, pour in the ingredient and read the amount as you pour - no more adding a bit, checking, adding more, checking, pouring out excess, or bending over to read straight from the side. I have both the 1 and 2 cup versions of those (bought after reading the review), plus the 4 cup Pyrex. Since mine never go in the dishwasher, they stay in pristine condition. I can't put them in the machine because when I do I always need one of the cups before the next time we run it.
Any ideas on what a good way to check this measurement? We'd need to buy a regulated 1/4 1/2 1 cup measurement of milk, or something?

Old 10-15-2015, 07:00 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
What bit did you end up using?
It was a simple cutting disc that I revved up to high.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #34
Senior Cook

The easiest way to test is buy an 8 or 16 oz bottle of a liquid. Read carefully as most water is now sold in 16.9 oz bottles.
Pour the liquid into the measuring cup.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post
Any ideas on what a good way to check this measurement? We'd need to buy a regulated 1/4 1/2 1 cup measurement of milk, or something?
No idea for certain, short of buying a laboratory grade graduated cylinder. I just took CR's word for it that their testing was accurate. I have no problem with having a set of Pyrex cups, they have many good uses, but I'll still use my Oxo cups for accurate measuring.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Easy, 16 ounces of water weighs 1 pound. Weigh your cup, add water till you are one pound over the cups weight. If you have a scale that will tare the cup weight, pour till you hit 1 pound.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I'm no help as far as re-etching or re-painting, but just wanted to mention I'm using the same Pyrex measuring cups that I've had for decades and the measuring lines still look like new. They've seen the inside of a dishwasher countless times. I have a 4-cup, two 2-cups, and 2 one-cups.

I would go ahead and buy new, unless this particular measuring glass is of sentimental value to you. I can certainly understand that, I've got lots of kitchen tools that have that value for me that I'll never part with.
What she said.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Easy, 16 ounces of water weighs 1 pound. Weigh your cup, add water till you are one pound over the cups weight. If you have a scale that will tare the cup weight, pour till you hit 1 pound.

Roughly. 16 fluid ounces of water weighs 16.59 ounces.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
"A pint a pound, the world around"

Another old saying shattered!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I just checked my Oxo cups against this standard and they come out as closely as possible within the resolution of my digital kitchen scale. Nice to know that CR was right about their accuracy.