"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Have a question about getting new cookware

Yeah Im sure this has been asked many times and Ive been searching around to see whats been said. Ive seen a few deals on the net, at least they seem like deals, but I have some questions.

Im looking at this Anolon set from Macys.com:
Anolon Cookware, Classic 10 Piece Set - All Cookware Sets Cookware Sets Cookware - Kitchen - Macy's

It seems like a good deal, but I dont know enough about it to make a determination one way or another.

Also I was really thinking about getting stainless so I dont know about the nonstick. Although Ive never really used stainless before and Ive always used nonstick for the most part.

I know most people will recommend avoiding a set and buying individual pieces also, but at least from what I see a set is the cheapest way to go. I mean I dot see that I can put my own "set" together for that price.

So I guess I have a few options. What do you think about that Analon set. Are there any reasonably priced good quality stainless sets out there I should look at, any deal right now?
Another option is waiting until I can get to the Springs, I'm about 4 hours away, and see what I can find at place like Marshalls, TJ Max and Homegoods, as I hear great stuff can be found at those places for good prices.

I don't need the stuff right now so I can definitely wait. Problem is my budget is very tight, $100 is about the upper limit for me right now, which isn't much I know.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Cook

With $100 to spend, I think you would be better off with good old fashioned Farberware from one of the discounters. It's much better quality than the price suggests. I generally get about three years out of their non-stick stuff....and their stainless lasts forever. I inherited a bunch of pots from the fifties that still get used to this day.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Tramotina Cookware available at Walmart and online...It's Tri-Ply Stainless...IMO the best value out there right now....

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Head Chef

First of all, welcome to the site!

Second, I believe we need to know a bit more about you and the way you cook to give you a good answer. Are you cooking for just yourself or a family. Do you make a lot of soups and stews? Do you have ANY cookware right now? You are right, most will advise against sets of cookware, mainly because they come all in one finish and they often contain unnecessary items. I started out married life with a non-stick cookware set 10 years ago, and they have all since been discarded. On the other hand, I have some Revere and Farberware stainless saucepans that belonged to my grandmother, and they work great! So I would say if you must get a set, imo you get more longevity out of a stainless set. For me though I would prefer the skillets to be CI or non-stick, in that order.

I must second the recommendation for the Tramontina tri-ply stuff from Walmart. There are 3 favorite pans in my house, and 2 of them are from Walmart. One is my Lodge 10" CI pan, and the other is my Tramontina 8 qt stock pot. Those cost about $66 dollars together. Add in a few more items and you've got a decent start!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Head Chef

Here's a good basic set. Stainless pots, with non-stick skillets too! Then you could pick up a larger stock pot later after you save up a few more sheckels! If there are any cooking trade shows or exhibitions in your area, I would show up on the last day. Vendors often look to unload cookware sets very cheaply rather than shipping them back to the warehouse.

Walmart.com: Tramontina 10-Piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set: Kitchen & Dining
Old 02-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
Sous Chef

The problem with sets, is that they normally include items you don't need. If a set includes the pieces that you need and is cheaper, then go for it.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
First of all, welcome to the site!

Second, I believe we need to know a bit more about you and the way you cook to give you a good answer. Are you cooking for just yourself or a family. Do you make a lot of soups and stews? Do you have ANY cookware right now? You are right, most will advise against sets of cookware, mainly because they come all in one finish and they often contain unnecessary items. I started out married life with a non-stick cookware set 10 years ago, and they have all since been discarded. On the other hand, I have some Revere and Farberware stainless saucepans that belonged to my grandmother, and they work great! So I would say if you must get a set, imo you get more longevity out of a stainless set. For me though I would prefer the skillets to be CI or non-stick, in that order.

I must second the recommendation for the Tramontina tri-ply stuff from Walmart. There are 3 favorite pans in my house, and 2 of them are from Walmart. One is my Lodge 10" CI pan, and the other is my Tramontina 8 qt stock pot. Those cost about $66 dollars together. Add in a few more items and you've got a decent start!
Thanks. Anyway its just me, maybe every now and then a guest or 2 but that's about it. don't make lots of soups or stews, at least not yet. Chili or stew would most likely be made in a crockpot anyway. Id imagine that the pots would probably most likely be used for boiling or steaming at this point, but who knows. A dutch oven or large pot would probably get some use for deep frying. Pans and skillets would probably get the most use.

Quote:
Here's a good basic set. Stainless pots, with non-stick skillets too! Then you could pick up a larger stock pot later after you save up a few more sheckels! If there are any cooking trade shows or exhibitions in your area, I would show up on the last day. Vendors often look to unload cookware sets very cheaply rather than shipping them back to the warehouse.

Walmart.com: Tramontina 10-Piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set: Kitchen & Dining
See I was looking at that set, but actually kind of decided against it because it has nonstick skillets. Wouldn't someone want a stainless skillet?

Like I said I don't have any experience with stainless and very little with anything thats not nonstick. I would think maybe the ideal situation for me would probably be some nonstick and maybe one stainless skillet.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Head Chef

loki,
I thought you preferred non-stick, and that is why I posted the link to the set with the non-stick skillets. Preferences vary on finishes for skillets. Most people prefer non-stick for eggs. Personally I am loving my new cast iron skillet, and many others love them too. You might look at picking up some used cookware at yard sales, flea markets, craigslist, etc. Then buy new what you can't find used.

Also, do you have any cookware now?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

THIS set is stainless.

Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
loki,
I thought you preferred non-stick, and that is why I posted the link to the set with the non-stick skillets. Preferences vary on finishes for skillets. Most people prefer non-stick for eggs. Personally I am loving my new cast iron skillet, and many others love them too. You might look at picking up some used cookware at yard sales, flea markets, craigslist, etc. Then buy new what you can't find used.
Ive never really used anything else, but I don't know if I prefer it or not. I kinda wanted to at least try some stainless. I posted the Analon set that was nonstick because it seemed to be a really good deal. Ive been doing research and it seems a lot of people prefer stainless and it cooks better, but I am afraid that I may have some sticking problems.