How Do You Pronounce Sauteuse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
Kinda a dumb question but curious nonetheless.

I've been using one of these for years but never knew it had a special name. Don't know how to pronounce it though.

It looks like it would be pronounced saw-toose

thanks

Mr_Dove said:
Kinda a dumb question but curious nonetheless.

I've been using one of these for years but never knew it had a special name. Don't know how to pronounce it though.

It looks like it would be pronounced saw-toose

thanks

That's how I've been pronouncing it.

Well, let's gather all my high-school French, and memories of my family, and freinds who are French (and all of that experience and a dollar still won't get you a cup of coffee), theoretically I think (notice the disclaimers) it should be sow (like what you do with a seed in the ground, or sew with a needle and thread, not a female pig) tuse (rhyme with use). Think in terms of "au" -- as in cafe au lait, roast beef au jus, or anything au anything else, very common cooking terms for the first syllable.

One thing, though, that I've learned about any terminology from any language, when you are in a community, pronounce it the way they do if you want to fit in. For example, I know darned good and well that Quebec is pronounced close to Kay-Bek, after all, my entire family is from there. But then, you get tired of people thinking you're pretentious or even not knowing what you're talking about. So got to saying "kwuh-bek", just to be understood. Then my best freind's mother looked at me sternly and said, "Claire, you know better than that!!!!" Pardon, pardon.

Imagine how foreigners feel in the UK.... Milngavie is pronounced Mull-guy.... Leicester is not, contrary to the way many tourists say it, pronounced Lie sester, but Lester. Family surnames Cholmondleigh, pronounced Chumley and Mainwairing pronounced Mannering; Scottish surname Menzies is actually pronounced Ming-iss. Gilzean is pronounced Gillan...

I read to a blind freind a couple times a week, and have one heck of a time with Scottish and Irish words! BUT, here in the middle of the US, we have even more confusing place names. Towns named after places or words in "the old world", but pronounced totally differently. Off the top of my head are Cairo (pronounced like corn syrup). Pappillion, which even puts a butterfly on their logo, but somehow cannot pronounce it like butterfly in French and people looked at me like I was insane when I said it the way I was raised to (being new there). There are at least a half dozen more where you'd look at the word and think you know how to pronounce it, and locals wouldn't know what you're talking about.

here's a couple more little town names for you, Claire, right from your home state of Illinois, down around where I used to be the editor of a little country newspaper

Versailles - pronounced "ver-sales"
San Jose - pronounced "san joe's"
Goofy Ridge - not a pronunciation variant but still an actual name for an actual place

The closest city to me is Worcester, but is pronounced wuster (or woostah if you live in Boston).

gb, i never thought about it before, but do you have one of those bahston accents? i mean, when i read different member's posts, sometimes i hear them with (what i think are) appropriate accents. like crewsk has a scarlett o'hara accent; brooksy is aussie all the way, otter sounds like walter kronkite, and elfie is kinda high pitched (only teasing elfie...:) )...

so should i read your posts as "pahk the cah in the yahd"?

LOL no I actually don't have any accent at all (everyone else does :) ). No seriously though, in college I took a course in voice and diction. Being in the business that you are BT you are probably familiar with some of the stuff I learned. The class taught us how to lose our accents so you could be a TV personality. It was a fascinating class and I did very well in it.

I actually was born in NJ and moved to MA when I was 4. Luckily I never picked up the Bostonian accent. For a while I had a NY accent, but it didn't take me long to lose that.

buckytom said:
and elfie is kinda high pitched (only teasing elfie...:) )...

Funny you should say that bucky - I actually did that when I spoke to someone from these boards for the first time on the phone.

Annie Lennox? She's from DUNDEE..... Naah.... think more of Dame Maggie Smith as Miss Jean Brodie (from the film, the Pride of Miss Jean Brodie!)

Back
Top Bottom