"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-12-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
Senior Cook

How Do You Pronounce Sauteuse?

Kinda a dumb question but curious nonetheless.

I've been using one of these for years but never knew it had a special name. Don't know how to pronounce it though.

It looks like it would be pronounced saw-toose

thanks

Old 05-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I would pronounce it sow tehs!

Old 05-12-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dove
Kinda a dumb question but curious nonetheless.

I've been using one of these for years but never knew it had a special name. Don't know how to pronounce it though.

It looks like it would be pronounced saw-toose

thanks
That's how I've been pronouncing it.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:48 AM   #4
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Chef Wil Send a message via Yahoo to Chef Wil
I pronounce it saw-toose too.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
Master Chef

Well, let's gather all my high-school French, and memories of my family, and freinds who are French (and all of that experience and a dollar still won't get you a cup of coffee), theoretically I think (notice the disclaimers) it should be sow (like what you do with a seed in the ground, or sew with a needle and thread, not a female pig) tuse (rhyme with use). Think in terms of "au" -- as in cafe au lait, roast beef au jus, or anything au anything else, very common cooking terms for the first syllable.

One thing, though, that I've learned about any terminology from any language, when you are in a community, pronounce it the way they do if you want to fit in. For example, I know darned good and well that Quebec is pronounced close to Kay-Bek, after all, my entire family is from there. But then, you get tired of people thinking you're pretentious or even not knowing what you're talking about. So got to saying "kwuh-bek", just to be understood. Then my best freind's mother looked at me sternly and said, "Claire, you know better than that!!!!" Pardon, pardon.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:31 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Imagine how foreigners feel in the UK.... Milngavie is pronounced Mull-guy.... Leicester is not, contrary to the way many tourists say it, pronounced Lie sester, but Lester. Family surnames Cholmondleigh, pronounced Chumley and Mainwairing pronounced Mannering; Scottish surname Menzies is actually pronounced Ming-iss. Gilzean is pronounced Gillan...
Old 05-19-2005, 07:50 AM   #7
Master Chef

I read to a blind freind a couple times a week, and have one heck of a time with Scottish and Irish words! BUT, here in the middle of the US, we have even more confusing place names. Towns named after places or words in "the old world", but pronounced totally differently. Off the top of my head are Cairo (pronounced like corn syrup). Pappillion, which even puts a butterfly on their logo, but somehow cannot pronounce it like butterfly in French and people looked at me like I was insane when I said it the way I was raised to (being new there). There are at least a half dozen more where you'd look at the word and think you know how to pronounce it, and locals wouldn't know what you're talking about.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

here's a couple more little town names for you, Claire, right from your home state of Illinois, down around where I used to be the editor of a little country newspaper

Versailles - pronounced "ver-sales"
San Jose - pronounced "san joe's"
Goofy Ridge - not a pronunciation variant but still an actual name for an actual place
Old 05-19-2005, 10:59 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

The closest city to me is Worcester, but is pronounced wuster (or woostah if you live in Boston).
Old 05-19-2005, 11:39 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

gb, i never thought about it before, but do you have one of those bahston accents? i mean, when i read different member's posts, sometimes i hear them with (what i think are) appropriate accents. like crewsk has a scarlett o'hara accent; brooksy is aussie all the way, otter sounds like walter kronkite, and elfie is kinda high pitched (only teasing elfie... )...

so should i read your posts as "pahk the cah in the yahd"?