"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Different pans are used for different things. You can get away with just one style pan (non stick, SS, cast iron, etc.), but you will be making sacrifices.

SS is great at browning foods. Food sticks to SS which is a good thing if you want to make pan sauces.

Non stick (Tephlon is a brand name of non stick coating) is easy to clean, but you really can't use it to make a pan sauce though. Non stick is perfect for eggs, but that is not the only thing it is good for. I use mine anytime I am cooking something with a lot of cheese (grilled cheese, mac and cheese, etc.) as they clean up so easily.

Non stick pans generally can't go in the dishwasher without voiding the warranty, but they are so simple to clean that finding room for them in the dishwasher is harder than just cleaning them by hand.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #12
Executive Chef

you should be able to store food in a non stick pan as long as it's not scratched. THe heat up issue is true for any pan ...good ventilation is the key...most homes don't have it sorry to say.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the added tips.
I think I'm going to stick with the non-stick then. It's what I'm used to and I don't make any pan sauces.... I saw ones that were supposed to be dishwasher safe and were pretty reasonable.
Maybe I'll get one SS pan to play with after I get going with my new pans. Should be a big change just to have new pans, now if I can just force myself to throw the old ones out.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

If you enjoy cooking and want to be able to expand your cooking skills then get some SS. If you just cook because you have to eat then non stick is probably the way to go.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I don't have any non stick pans because my DH thinks they are deadly and has gone as far as to throw them away. So, I deal with my SS and cast iron pans and I love them. I do miss the non stick for eggs. I am going to have a look at your links for the restaurant pans. Alas, I'll probabally want to buy everything.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:20 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Are there any comments on these two brands, Farberware and Cuisinart?
I'm looking at:
Farberware Skillet - Cooking.com
or Cuisinart Nonstick Skillet - Cooking.com
and Farberware Black Saute Pan - Cooking.com
or Cuisinart Nonstick Saute Pan - Cooking.com

I don't understand why even though the Cuisinart pans are basically the same, just different shapes, one is dishwasher safe and the other not.... but they are looking into that for me.
It would be nice if the Farberware had a larger saute pan, but they don't. A nice feature though is the handle is cool to the touch, something the Cuisinart says it is not.

Is one brand better than the other generally speaking? And I know it's definitely not a sin to mix and match, so maybe I would be better off trying one manufacturer for the fry pan and one for the saute pan. I still need to check into a SS pan too, but I would like to get these non-sticks on order first because it's what I'm used to.
I guess you could say I cook to feed myself, so don't know how much benefit the SS pans would be.....

Thanks again
Fred
Old 02-13-2007, 05:54 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Well OK. No more responses so I figured it was time to order on what was already said. After all, it's a personal choice.
I went with the Cuisinart AND changed my mind again, I went with all SS fry and saute pans similar to the ones I posted (but without the non-stick surface of course) and a 10" non-stick fry pan just in case I can't get the hang of cooking eggs in SS.
Looks like it's time to learn to cook with SS, but I've already been learning a lot pouring over old posts..... hot pan, cold oil.
Amazon was a lot cheaper and had everything in stock, so I had to go with them. Hopefully they'll ship in their usual quick manner and hopefully I'll learn to make pan sauces to take full advantage of the SS cooking surface.
Fried pork chops is first on the menu.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

I am sure you will love your new pans. It will take a little trial and error to figure out how to us the SS, but you will be able to do it no problem. You are off to a good start by reading old posts here.

Do you know about deglazing the pan when you cook something? That is how you make a sauce, but it is also the easiest way to clean the pan after you use it.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Do you know about deglazing the pan when you cook something? That is how you make a sauce, but it is also the easiest way to clean the pan after you use it.
I've read the term used here, but don't know what it means. Can you tell me or post a link? I'm having a hard time narrowing my searches down for what I'm actually looking for, but it's taken me to some great topics.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Sure I can tell you.

Lets say you cooked a steak. Once the steak is done you take the meat out of the pan. You will be left with little bits of food stuck to the pan. Those little bits are called fond. The fond is full of amazing flavor. To deglaze the pan what you do is pour in a little liquid and scrape up those bits with a wooden spoon (with the heat still in the pan). The fond will loosed from the pan without much work at all. You can use a variety of liquids from water to wine to juices to stocks. This can be the base for your sauce.

If you don't feel like making a sauce of what you are cooking is not something you would make a sauce for you will still usually want to deglaze the pan (with water). This will make clean up a breeze, even if you plan on sticking the pan in the dishwasher.