"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-22-2008, 01:11 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

I am a pressure cooker expert and a good size to get is around 6 quarts or larger. I just returned from teaching a cooking class where I made beans for a bean salad (4 minutes at pressure and a natural pressure release), Sicilian cauliflower (3 minutes, quick release), Harvest Vegetable soup (3 minutes, quick release) and a Fall Fruit compote in 1 minute at pressure.
The food is always flavorful -- much more so than you can get with almost any other cooking method. I sing the pressure cooker's praises whenver I can. It's ecologically sound and can help people eat well on a budget.

VegQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I have an electric pressure cooker...I love it! The best thing to cook in a pressure cooker is artichokes. I love artichokes...but they take FOREVER on the stove...especially if you are like me and can't stand the wait to eat them! I can cook two artichokes in 6-8 minutes once my pressure cooker comes up to pressure.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Try ebay for Pressure Cooking cook books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Like it Hot View Post
I just nabbed me a 5 qt pressure cooker for less than $20. I went small as that I only have two mouths to feed.

Any advice about these things?

Any recipes that are made to be pressure cooked that I must try?

A question as well: I know some dishes like bean soups / stoups that I traditionally do in a pot, simmering for several hours. Do you lose flavor when you cook them as quickly as the pressure cooker cooks them? I keep thinking the slow simmering imparts a more hearty and complex flavor.
HI! I picked up three cookbooks from years ago, on EBAY. Go there and search for Pressure Cooker COOKBOOKS and see what shows up. Great prices and ask for media/book rate shipping!

I have done bbq flavored ribs, with no boiling, no marinating and no fuss, they were delicious. Just be sure you like the BBQ sauce. FAMOUS DAVE's makes a good selection of them!

Have Fun!
Old 12-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #14
Head Chef

I have used my pressure cooker for as long as I can remember (since I first learned how to cook). I have a stove top version and I use it to cook almost anything and everything.

Meat tenderizes and cooks in a quarter time than the traditional stove top or oven method
I use it to boil potatoes (in 1/4 less time)
I use it to make a dozen different bean dishes

To make curries, or beans I add some oil to the cooker, saute my onions with spices, tomatoes etc. I add the meat or beans some water and cover and let the cooker go for 30 minutes or so and viola it's tender and perfectly cooked.