"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I almost always use BKF as a last step in cleaning. If you leave any food residue in the pan, it will encourage food's sticking. I like to leave the inside of the pan looking like new when I put it away. There will be cosmetic scratches in the pan. Nothing to be done about it and they are not an issue.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylorbeargp View Post
So today is my birthday and am trying to pick out a gift (for myself). I've concluded I want a SS pan of some sort (just one for now).I really like cooking meats and am wanting to try my hand at pan sauces.I have researched and researched and am having trouble deciding. Please help with size, type of pan, and brand. I don't want to spend a lot unless I have to. I normally just cook for two sometimes more and I have an electric range with the biggest heating element being about 9inches.

Happy Birthday and welcome to DC!

How much do you want to spend? This is the first consideration. If I was to choose, it would be a Le Creuset, as illustrated here:

Le Creuset 3-Ply Chef's Non-Stick Pan with Lid 24 cm - 81.50 : Salamander Cookshop UK

I'll tell you for why. Apart from obvious high quality, this pan will cook evenly, has a superb deep fitting lid that is easy to grab hold of and, the pan is beautifully balanced. It also is guaranteed for 10 years.

Or,

You could pay more, but get one of the best frying pans in the business, a copper beaut to be proud of, made by Lyonnaise which I am proud to use. 12"/30cm, it has all the best things going for it, and can be put in the oven.

The French House | Lyonnaise Frying Pans

My family have been using Lyonnaise pans for years, but these pans are commercial quality of the highest order, though will last a lifetime. Mine would be the COP019. Okay, you would be paying the equivalent of 125.00 in US Dollars. But I tell you, the frying pan is worth it. And, because it's copper, it looks absolutely fabulous.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:46 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

happy belated b'day, b-bear.

i have the 5 qt. ss deep saute from tramontina, and it's my most used pan by far.

for the price, it blows all clad away. i hope you have the same experience with it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I have several pieces of Tramontina SS cookware that I purchased from Walmart. They are wonderful and had be tested by America's Test Kitchen and got a thumbs up rating. I think for the price, you can't go wrong.

As far at the BKF, I don't use it after evey cleaning. May once a month or even longer. It really depends on how much residue you have.

Happy Birthday and have have cooking with your new pan.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
Executive Chef

BKF works quite well; but I have my doubts about how beneficial it is for copper drain plumbing.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I have a glass stovetop and tried using Calphalon hard anodized skillets and pans and found that they warp to the point that they spin with just the barest touch. I've sold them and now use Cuisinart products that have an encapsulated disk in the bottom. They don't spin and maintain contact with the stovetop.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Here's my new favorite, and the price is right too.

Walmart.com: Tramontina 12" 18/10 TriPly-Clad Stainless Steel Jumbo Cooker: Kitchen & Dining