"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Thanks for the additional advice. I'll make sure I just clean the pan thoroughly and follow your original tips. Cheers :)

Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

You must clean stainless steel it is not ment to be seasoned. Now one of my favorites cast iron you can season. They are such a joy to cook with. On my current poll it looks like cast iron and stainless steal are neck and neck.

kennethcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
Head Chef

To GB or Andy, if the food to be fried is cold, would it cause sticking? I have that problem when frying eggs that come straight from the fridge, even on a very hot SS pan and oil. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
To GB or Andy, if the food to be fried is cold, would it cause sticking? I have that problem when frying eggs that come straight from the fridge, even on a very hot SS pan and oil. Thanks in advance!

I don't think cold food should cause sticking. However, the 'unsticking' process could take longer. With quick cooking foods such as an egg, that may be too long.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #15
Senior Cook

We don't use nonstick cookware, so I did some research a while back on how to cook scrambled eggs without having them stick. The advice, which works pretty well for us, includes making sure the pan is nice and hot before adding the eggs, and warming the eggs in hot water for a few minutes while they are still in their shells. Turn the heat down to medium low once you add the eggs to the pan, and wait 30-60 seconds before trying to move or stir the eggs. I'd guess the same tricks would probably work for fried eggs. :)
Old 08-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

is it also possible that it sticks if the meat has a lot of water content into it? i noticed wet meat that is freshly thawed are prone to sticking..especially fish
Old 08-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by macro01 View Post
is it also possible that it sticks if the meat has a lot of water content into it? i noticed wet meat that is freshly thawed are prone to sticking..especially fish

If you dry the surface of the meat before you put it in the pan, that shouldn't make a difference.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonny_uk View Post
Although I do most of my frying in a non-stick frying pan I have a large deep-sided stainless steel frying pan that I like to use when preparing larger quantities of food that need sauces adding. My problem is that whenever I try to fry cubes of chicken the chicken pieces always stick. I always try to heat the pan before adding the oil and make sure the oil is hot but it always sticks. Is it because the chicken has too much water content or something else.
One little known fact is that, though you probably know there are different gauges of stainless steel, there are also actually stainless steel materials that are of different quality. Higher quality stainless steel will have an impact on how food sticks, or whether or not it will burn. Certain brands are more inferior with respect to this than others. Are your cookware pieces solely stainless steel, or are they stainless steel clad with a copper bottom? That would definitely affect things as well. Clad will give you much better results in terms of sticking/even heating.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Bronze View Post
One little known fact is that, though you probably know there are different gauges of stainless steel, there are also actually stainless steel materials that are of different quality. Higher quality stainless steel will have an impact on how food sticks, or whether or not it will burn. Certain brands are more inferior with respect to this than others. Are your cookware pieces solely stainless steel, or are they stainless steel clad with a copper bottom? That would definitely affect things as well. Clad will give you much better results in terms of sticking/even heating.
They are solely stainless steel. I used to have some with copper bottoms when I was in the UK and they didn't give me as much trouble so yeah you're right.

There are so many things I want to buy at the moment for the kitchen but we're moving back to UK next year and wont be taking everything with us so at the moment I have to either make do without or by the cheaper version ready to throw out or pass on when we leave. I'm having better results now though after all the tips so thanks everyone