Originally Posted by Andy M.
When Teflon pans are heated to a too high temperature, the coating gives off fumes that are harmful or fatal to small birds. There is no evidence it has the same effect on humans. No human deaths from overheated Teflon have been reported.
The carcinogen you referred to is used in the Teflon manufacturing process and is not present in the finished product. It is, however, present in other products such as pizza boxes and certain food wrappers to prevent the penetration of grease as well as in waterproof clothing.
You can safely cook with Teflon as long as you avoid overheating. If you choose to switch to stainless steel, that's a good option as well. Look for SS that's either tri-ply with aluminum between layers of SS or pans that have a heavy layered disk attached to the bottom of a SS pan.
lol, ya just can't let it go, can ya?
do not keep birds of any
size near a kitchen that uses non-stick cookware. peroid!!!!
there have been documented negative health effects on humans, but so far none have proved to be more than just temporary "flu-like" symptoms. these results were based on the cookware staying at relatively normal cooking temps below 600 degrees F. however, a forgotten pan in a self cleaning oven, or a non-stick drip pan may exceed 1000 degrees F, releasing fumes and particulates that are lethal to humans, even in smasll doses.
i don't know about you, but when my son had rsv, then pneumonia, and we were measuring blood oxygen saturation where just a few percentage points from being emergency room bound, we were extremely
careful not to overheat our non-stick cookware.
for a while, i guess we ate a lot of mushy food.