"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What is best to roast vegetables in?

What is best to roast vegetables in -- roasting pan, baking sheet lined with parchment paper or without parchment paper, casserole dish, cast iron skillet, enamel coated cast iron, or what?

I'm going to be using olive oil and different seasonings/herbs. No butter.

(C..r..e..a..k.) There..I did it. I''ve come out of the closet. We eat a lot of canned vegetables.

We mostly eat canned corn, green beans, and peas with an occasional can of baby lima beans or carrots or carrots or peas. It's kind of boring, needless to say.

We do eat fresh white and sweet potatoes and garlic and onions but I want to start eating more fresh vegetables, like broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, eggplant, whatever looks good in the store. I like just about anything except red & green peppers.

Diane

Old 03-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I use a cookie sheet that I rub down with olive oil. I think that any of the above would work though. Try adding a dash of balasmic vinegar to your olive oil. It adds a nice flavor boost.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Head Chef

Personally, I use a cast iron skillet, it cleans easily, takes the heat of the oven with no complaint, and has a handle so that you can shake the vegetables quickly. You might want to also try sauteing or stir frying vegetables especially those you mentioned. A little butter or olive oil, some spices and herbs, quickly done and tasty. One vegetable that takes well to roasting is fingerling potatoes. I pour a little good olive oil in a skillet, add whatever herbs I have around, some garlic and pepper, toss cold to coat, and roast abour 20-30 minutes, until fork tender. All winter vegetables work well this way.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Executive Chef

ideally you want a low sided heavy pan large enough to hold your veg without too much overlapping. You want the sides of the veg to brown as well as the tops. I use a low sided large oval "au gratin" pan for most of my roasting now.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Another vote for something with low sides. Otherwise some steaming goes on.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Try your baking stone ... fabulous results!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
AMS - that's exactly what I use - a stone jellyroll pan - works great!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
This thread is all it took for me to get off my duff ... I'm off to roast a buncha goodies. I just know there are some sweet potatoes and fennel calling my name ... and some sweet onions. Hope the peppers are still nice ... TTFN!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

You've all given me wonderful tips. Thank you so much.

Robo, I Googled au gratin pan to see what you meant by low sided. The ones I saw ranged from 1-1/4 to 2-1/2 high. I'm guessing the lower the better for roasting vegetables. I have a confession to make. I'm so culinarily challenged I didn't know what an au gratin pan was. I had never heard of it before. I had to Google it even to see what it was, not just how high the sides were.

After reading all your wonderful posts, what I see in my crystal ball after my Google adventure is a shallow au gratin pan made out of enamel coated cast iron. I think it would roast evenly and keep the vegies warm longer while everyone eats, and looking pretty to serve in that would be an added benefit.

I only have one roasting pan, and it's for a turkey so it sounds like it's too high. I think I'll try my jelly roll pan and my cast iron skillet (2 inches high). Those are my two lowest kind mentioned. My stoneware is either 2-1/2" or totally flat for pizza. I couldn't stir it if it's flat. Although the jelly roll pan has the lowest sides, I think the cast iron or stoneware might bake and brown more evenly. I'll try them both and see. I love my cast iron skillet.

Pdswife, I'm going to try adding some balsamic vinegar to the olive oil. That sounds yummy!

I need to go the grocery store now and get some vegies to roast!! Thank you all!!!!!!!

Diane
Old 03-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I use a cookie sheet, too. With foil on it for easy cleanup.
I just came back from the store and they had asparagus on sale for $1.99/lb! That's really the only vegetable I roast. The rest I kind of steam and then put EVVO on and kind of fry on the stove top.
And there's nothing wrong with canned veggies either, Diane! I LOVE the taste of canned corn. I haven't had canned green beans though since I started buying good fresh ones.