"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Yixing Teapots

Has anyone here used a Yixing teapot? For those that are unfamiliar with them, they are made from a special clay and are unglazed. You are only supposed to use one kind of tea in the pot because, like cast iron pans, the Yixing teapots get seasoned. I just picked one up and will use it for Oolong tea.

As you use the pot the flavor of the tea is absorbed into the clay and over time as you use it more and more the flavor strengthens and eventually ends up flavoring your tea. It is said that a very well seasoned Yixing pot can make a good cup of tea with just hot water and no tea leaves. I am not sure if that is just a tall tale or if there is any truth to it, but either way I am excited to use this pot.

I have read that you are supposed to season it first, but the person at the store said you don't need to. I have read of a few ways to season it, with most of them requiring that you pot the pot in a stockpot on the stove. I am using this at my office and we do not have a stove, so I am taking the short route that I read about where you basically brew a pot of strong tea and leave it in the pot for a while. After that it is ready to us. Does anyone here know about the seasoning process for Yixing pots? Is it really necessary to preseason? Is the method I used good enough?

Old 10-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I have not personally done it but most of the members a tea group I belong to use this method:
Quote:
I use the simmer method. I put fresh cold water in a large wide brimmed pan covering with water a new clay pot with its lid off placed on the bottom. Bringing the water to a slow simmer I then add a generous amount of some older oolong tea to the mix and turn off the heat. I leave this concoction for a couple of days to leach out the clay and to start the seasoning process. This should not harm your new Yixing clay pot. I don't boil the water but time is what is required. Three days is good after which the pot is ready to use after rising it out.
Source: Yixing teapots, general info Seven Cups Tea Forum
or
Culinary Teas - Seasoning Your Yixing Teapot

Old 10-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks Dixie. That is very similar to most of what I have read. I took the short cut method and hopefully will have results that are good enough. I do have to say I am enjoying this pot a lot.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Let us know how it turns out. Oolong is a favorite of mine but I have never used a Yixing teapot.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I will absolutely report back.