Good Tea or Cocoa Brands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not bought Penzey's hot chocolate because I read the label and it seemed rather high in sodium to me. I will wait for your opinion, Maverick. Or perhaps, your wife's opinion. lol We Hungarian women must stick together. lol

I have not bought Penzey's hot chocolate because I read the label and it seemed rather high in sodium to me. I will wait for your opinion, Maverick. Or perhaps, your wife's opinion. lol We Hungarian women must stick together. lol

OK, so she is sitting right here next to me, reads your post, and starts laughing at me....:ermm:

We will give it a try next time we are up that way, which should be in the next couple of days, and see how it is. If it is high in sodium, she will detect it right away and be sure to let me know it is too salty... she is good at making her feelings known...:glare:

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

OK, so she is sitting right here next to me, reads your post, and starts laughing at me....:ermm:

We will give it a try next time we are up that way, which should be in the next couple of days, and see how it is. If it is high in sodium, she will detect it right away and be sure to let me know it is too salty... she is good at making her feelings known...:glare:

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

You know the three marshmallow recipes that I posted in the candy page (regular, peppermint and chocolate) they go really well with hot cocoa and are very easy to make. Just sayin'....

All this talk of cocoa, I just had to make myself a cup of Sipping Chocolate. It is not as sweet as some but I like it. I even use fat free milk. So, I can tell myself that it is good for me. lol.

the best tea that i've found, outside of ireland, is from here: www.harney.com

i love the early grey supreme, and several of the greens, and rooibos.

has anyone tried the ghirardelli double chocolate hot cocoa mix? i was just given a can.

Geez Susan you sure know which buttons to push with her don't ya??:LOL:

Apparently tomorrow I am tasked with searching for said threads and attempting to make marshmallows soon thereafter!:glare:

As for the Giardella (sp?) double chocolate mix, we had it and thought it was too chocolaty for us.. we prefer the milk chocolate mix.. but then the wife is one of those rarities among women in this world that doesn't really care for chocolate that much...:ohmy:

No wonder I have my work cut out for me!:ROFLMAO:

:ohmy: No worries on the sodium Maverick, the jar indicates 0 mg for sodium. That's one element I find myself watching even more than fat/calories, so I sat up straight when I read Susan's post. Perhaps it was another brand? Gosh I hope it hasn't changed. The entire ingredients list (on this particular jar) is sugar, natural cocoa, ceylon cinnamon and real vanilla beans.

As for tea (again), my grandma served me a surprisingly smooth Bigelow Earl Gray over the weekend. And I'll second the nod for Harney teas, really nice line!

Maverick, a Hungarian who doesn't like chocolate? I don't believe it. lol Dobish torte is one of my favorite desserts!

Well, she is very very very finicky about it. No chocolate ice cream or milk or cake or most bars. She does like dark chocolate and sometimes milk chocolate but it has to be the higher quality stuff, mostly European chocolates.
Like I said... picky picky picky LOL.

Favorite tea and hot chocolate?

My favorite tea is TWININGS Prince of Wales Tea.:chef:

My favorite hot chocolate is RICH CHOCOLATE OVALTINE in whole milk.:chef:

Well, she is very very very finicky about it. No chocolate ice cream or milk or cake or most bars. She does like dark chocolate and sometimes milk chocolate but it has to be the higher quality stuff, mostly European chocolates.
Like I said... picky picky picky LOL.

That makes perfect sense to me. American desserts are a lot sweeter and the portions are huge.

European desserts are usually less sweet but are richer and one can only eat a small portion. It is why I love to bake them. (There are some exceptions--but generally, that is how I would differentiate the two)

I just thought I might mention that I bought some Lake Champlain all Natural Traditional Hot Chocolate Just add Hot Milk at Whole Foods tonight. I haven't tried it yet but I liked that it didn't contain cinnamon--it is just sugar, dutched cocoa and vanilla and it contains 35 mg of salt per Tablespoon and 70 calories per serving.

It comes in the following flavors New World, Mocha, Aztec, Organic and Unsweetened Cocoa.

Since I moved to Mexico, I have found a whole new way of making hot chocolate. Just try it - it is very very good. If you have a store near you that carries Mexican foods, look for La Abuelita (little grandmother) or Ibarra solid chocolate. It comes in a disk that is scored. You simply put the milk in a pan with the chocolate and heat it slowly, melting the chocolate. Whisk it and you're done. Needless to day, whole milk tastes the best. I've never made it with skim. The other night, I didn't have any Abuelita, so I just chunked up a Cadbury bar and melted that with milk...oh it was SO good. You don't need a mix - this is so easy, and no chemicals. Who knew? Not me...

Since I moved to Mexico, I have found a whole new way of making hot chocolate. Just try it - it is very very good. If you have a store near you that carries Mexican foods, look for La Abuelita (little grandmother) or Ibarra solid chocolate. It comes in a disk that is scored. You simply put the milk in a pan with the chocolate and heat it slowly, melting the chocolate. Whisk it and you're done. Needless to day, whole milk tastes the best. I've never made it with skim. The other night, I didn't have any Abuelita, so I just chunked up a Cadbury bar and melted that with milk...oh it was SO good. You don't need a mix - this is so easy, and no chemicals. Who knew? Not me...

Ohh that sounds soo good. Like a cross between hot chocolate and chocolate milk LOL. Think of all the European chocolates I could melt into that.... Yum!
But then, I had always heard that hot chocolate as done in Mexico is actually very different than the way we do it here anyway?

That makes perfect sense to me. American desserts are a lot sweeter and the portions are huge.

European desserts are usually less sweet but are richer and one can only eat a small portion. It is why I love to bake them. (There are some exceptions--but generally, that is how I would differentiate the two)

Sorry I missed this post, yes I think it is very true that American desserts are much sweeter and the portions larger than European desserts. I can think of only a handfull of exceptions such as shoo fly pie (we had an Amish recipe for that once but lost it).
Over the years she has swung me around to her way of thinking, and she is right my teeth always hurt after eating American desserts high in sugar. But this also includes Middle Eastern, South American, Mexican, Asian, etc desserts.
In short, I love trying desserts from around the world LOL!

Back
Top Bottom