The next trendy drink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronjohn55

Head Chef
I was reading this today (What Does Your Drink Say About You?), and it got me wondering a bit.... What do you think the next trendy drink will be?

I mean, I can remember when the tequila craze was wiping out the agave fields, that's given rise to the whole vodka thing (with people making vodkas out of things that vodka was never made out of before, but I guess it's ALL vodka when it's first distilled. However, I digress....). So what's next? The article above mentions the Manhattan. I could actually see that happening, since I've noticed a lot of new varieties of bourbon popping up in the past year or so (not that I'm complaining about that!)

So what do you think, what will replace the current martini craze as the next trendy drink?

John

PS - I'd have made it a poll, but I have no idea what other drinks to put on there!

Around here, alot more young people seem to be drinking Old Fashions - ick if you ask me but to each there own. However, it's not an easily changeable drink other than a few things (sweet, with cherries vs. olives, etc...) so it might be not be as long in favor since its always the same, you know?

Just what I've noticed here ...

i'd agree that it's gonna be a whisky or bourbon drink. i think the mojito boat has sailed already.

oh, you forgot the 'tini craze, which is slowly coming to an end with pomegranite, chocolate, and some weird asian or tropical fruits.

I am anything but trendy. I don't like to drink anything I can't see through.

My cold weather drink is Crown Royal (not Royal Crown) on the rocks. In the hot weather it's Tanq and tonic.

Andy M. said:
I am anything but trendy. I don't like to drink anything I can't see through.

My cold weather drink is Crown Royal (not Royal Crown) on the rocks. In the hot weather it's Tanq and tonic.

Andy!

You being an Officer and a Gentleman, I sure wish I could tempt you to try a good Kentucky Bourbon on the rocks this wniter!

Enjoy!!

buckytom said:
i think the mojito boat has sailed already.

I disagree. maybe in trendy places like NYC, but here in the sticks people are still learning about mojitos. I have known about them for years and years, but I still run into people who have never heard of them believe it or not.

Anyway, to answer johns question, I think rum will replace vodka next. I think we will start to see a lot of ultra premium rums, sipping rums, not mixing rums.

Andy M. said:
I'll make it a point to do so, Uncle Bob. I should ask for Old Gradddad, right?

Ahmm! Well the OGD Bottled in Bond @ 100 proof. or the OGD 114 are ok bourbons. However; you being a man of means, with a sophisticated palate, may want to consider something from a higher shelf. Maybe a Wild Turkey 101 or one of the other Wild Turkey Expressions. Then there is Baker's, and Booker's that are sure to open up your taste buds! ;)

MM certanly has it's following, I have a bottle, and drink it at times. It is good bourbon it just doesn't make my personal top 10 list. Which seems to change from time to time!

"A man of means"....a man of considerable wealth

Out here we are seeing lots and lots of sipping rums coming on the market, Pyrate is from the same company that bottles Patron. This rum is so silky smooth it will blow your mind. There are lots of top end gins coming out too that are better on the rocks - skip the add-ons and garnish.

In the summer a gin & tonic is great, a mojito with barbecue, margaritas any time we're in the mood. Vodka is always great with anything. But I'm a bourbon girl myself. Makers Mark is my favorite, and due to the economics of the ol' unemployment check Early Times is the daily dose. Ice and water are the only additions.

We did some Manhattans over the last week or 2 - but not my fave.

From the article:
Umbrella Drinks Or Ice Cream Drinks

Those fruity, creamy concoctions can make an impression. But is that an impression you want to make?

"Drinks with umbrellas and lots of garnish (cherries, oranges, pineapples) or those with contents on the rim are usually quite young," he said. "You don't catch many guys drinking anything like this; it's mostly college-aged girls."

I'm a guy who lives in a trendy apartment complex. I often take fruity, creamy, frozen concoctions to the pool - replete with garnish, umbrella and straw. They're a great conversation starter...

As for the next trendy drink... I'd like to guess frozen coffees and frozen teas because they're delicious and loaded with caffeine, booze and tasty goodness. Unfortunately, they're labor- and time-intensive so mass-market bars wouldn't be keen on the idea.

I'll go with shooters as the next trendy drink. Especially shooters with rum, fruit juice and some oddball liqueur.

IMO the "next" or "current" trendy drink is definitely GINS.

Read about it here

This is good ... because I love gin.

I have a few bottles of really good genever I brought back from a (now longago) trip to Amsterdam.

I bought a small bottle of Rangpur the other day to try too. Will try No. 209 next I think.

And I love Negronis (gin and campari).

JMediger said:
Around here, alot more young people seem to be drinking Old Fashions - ick if you ask me but to each there own. However, it's not an easily changeable drink other than a few things (sweet, with cherries vs. olives, etc...) so it might be not be as long in favor since its always the same, you know?

Just what I've noticed here ...

I can't see old fashioneds becoming popular, although I love 'em. Here's how I make mine:

Dissolve one sugarcube in a couple tablespoons water. Add rye whiskey, two ice cubes, and a healthy dash of bitters. Garnish optional.

By the way, did I misunderstand you, or did you mention putting an olive in an old fashioned? I've never heard of anything like that and frankly it sounds...well... revolting!

Last edited:
ronjohn55 said:
The article above mentions the Manhattan. I could actually see that happening, since I've noticed a lot of new varieties of bourbon popping up in the past year or so (not that I'm complaining about that!)

Manhattans are great and I'd love to see them become more popular!

I make 'em with rye, not bourbon, but eventually I'll get around to trying to do it with bourbon. A Knob Creek Manhattan would be quite a drink!

Back
Top Bottom