"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

What about making a rootbeer ice or ice cream?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

If you don't like it, you probably won't like whatever you make with it. I agree with the others who said give it to someone who likes it, or save it for company. I LOVE rootbeer, especially ice cold A&W.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Master Chef

I must be the odd one out here. I love root beer. It's primary flavors are wintergreen and caramel, or brown sugar. It lends itself well to dairy preparations and is great with ice cream, which tempers the strong wintergreen component. It can be used to make a syrup, but is rather sweet for that.

If I wanted to cook with it, I would thing paring it with something savory, like pot roast might be a good thing. Just use it as a flavor accent, maybe with some cloves, carrot, and onion.

As a desert, I might use it to make a shaved ice, or maybe an Italian ice. It could be used as a syrup, as for sticky buns.

To successfully use it, I would think you would want to make a bit of it flat, and roll it around in your mouth to figure out what it really tastes like, without the effervescence. Then, pair it with other flavors in your mind. I can see it making a good barbecue sauce for pulled pork, for instance.

Birch beer tastes a lot like root beer. The sap is sometimes boiled down to make syrup, and used in the same fashion as maple syrup.

I don't know. I have only used it to drink, ice cold, and in root beer floats. Hopefully, this helps get the imagination going.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Wow Chief, our senses of taste are very different. To me, rootbeer tastes like sarsaparilla on steroids, with some licorice thrown in to make it worse.

I've never tasted birch beer, but spruce beer tasted like conifer sap.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Master Chef

It may truly be that you don't like root beer. But before you give up on it, try different brands. I detest the flavor of Hire's root beer. I love the flavor of A&W, Dad's, and Barque's (sp). There are others that I can tolerate, and some that just plain won't drink as they taste terrible to me.

P.A.G. and her DH love Barque's and won't drink any other brand. I knew people who loved Hire's and couldn't handle A&W root beer. It all depends on your taste buds.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

i love root beer and birch beer too!

i could go for a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a frosty mug of stewarts root beer.

i remember making root beer with the scouts when i was a kid by actually boiling down some kind of roots, adding it to seltzer, then making ziplock bag ice cream to go with it.

i've had pulled pork that was mopped with root beer. it was pretty good, but then it's hard to screw up pulled pork.

you can also make a bbq sauce with root beer by reducing it with some chipotles, onions, and a thickener.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:27 AM   #17
Head Chef

How about chili or ribs:

Sweet Chili and Root Beer Baby Backs - Fine Cooking Recipes, Techniques and Tips

If you feel a little more adventurous...

Root Beer Pecan Pie

Rootin’ Tootin’ Chocolate Torte

Root Beer Apple Crumbs

Prawn Tempura with Spicy Chinese Cabbage & Mandarin Dipping Sauce

Recipes | REED'S, Inc.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Root Beer Ice Cream Float, Yes !

Good Morning,

One of the only sodas, I like is Rootbeer ... and I love it as an icecream float ... Very typical of the old NYC icecream parlors of yester-year !

I cannot imagine it as a sauce for savoury dishes ... however, we each have our own palates ...

Thanks for posting.
Margi.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #19
Executive Chef

@ Cerise,

Rootbeer recipes --- thanks so much for posting ... Curious ... Interesting. Shall take a serious look when out of editorial deadline.

Thanks for posting !
Margi. Have lovely day.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i love root beer and birch beer too!

i could go for a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a frosty mug of stewarts root beer.

i remember making root beer with the scouts when i was a kid by actually boiling down some kind of roots, adding it to seltzer, then making ziplock bag ice cream to go with it.

i've had pulled pork that was mopped with root beer. it was pretty good, but then it's hard to screw up pulled pork.

you can also make a bbq sauce with root beer by reducing it with some chipotles, onions, and a thickener.
Sassafras smells and tastes like root beer to me. A gulp of birch beer can be quite a letdown to someone expecting Harp lager.

Tags
beer