"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
babyzfaboo,
I own a set of Cutco knives and need assistance.
The smalller knife got the tip broken after being dropped on the floor.
I know Cutco will sharp knives for life... will they take care of this ?
Let me know please, I can also contact Cutco directly but since I saw your posting....
Thanks !

Old 07-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sorry, wysiwyg, the original poster hasn't been back since he/she posted on this thread. You might want to contact the company.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
babyzfaboo,
I own a set of Cutco knives and need assistance.
The smalller knife got the tip broken after being dropped on the floor.
I know Cutco will sharp knives for life... will they take care of this ?
Let me know please, I can also contact Cutco directly but since I saw your posting....
Thanks !
My daughter poked one of the Cutco steak knives into the feeder of my Champion juicer once, using it as a plunger to push fruit through. The blade came out mangled. I figured I would have to live with 7 steak knives until my DH reminded me that those knives are guaranteed for life. I called the company and told them my plight. They replaced the knife for me when I sent the damaged one back, w/o charge. I don't recall, but maybe I had to pay the s/h, can't remember, it's been a few years now. That was generous on their part because their policy is that if the damage is the customer's fault, they will replace at 50% cost. If the damage is their fault, they replace at no cost to the customer.

I suggest you give them a call and then follow their directions about sending in.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:52 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

My sister was also a sales rep for a short period so we had a bunch of Cutco products. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. They're terrible.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

I swear by cutco
Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Green Lady,
Thank you for the tip, I sent my knife to Cutco and they mailed me a new one. No questions asked.

I am with Andy M. and Harborwitch on this one... different strokes for different folks.
If I want razor thin slices of kiwi, I pull my Bron mandoline. It is more accurate and consistent that any knife you can find. Although I have a Victorinox that I use daily (IMO, the best value in knives), the Cutco bread knife is more than adequate.

And relative to ironchef comment about mediocrity, I think is arrogant. It is not about being mediocre or discerning, is about VALUE... which is different for all of us.
I'd like to know what kind of car you drive. Using your criteria, any vehicle other than a hand built Aston Martin DBS is mediocre.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
And relative to ironchef comment about mediocrity, I think is arrogant. It is not about being mediocre or discerning, is about VALUE... which is different for all of us.
I'd like to know what kind of car you drive. Using your criteria, any vehicle other than a hand built Aston Martin DBS is mediocre.
I don't know what ironchef drives, but here's my ride.... stock = 96 HP at the rear wheel, my FM II turbo = 262.2.

And one of my knives (now with my daughter) = Tojiro 240mm Gyuto with custom 60's hippy acid mycarta handle.

Ford Focus's are "value". Screw it. Live life.

Different strokes for different folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BuzzMiata.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	3416   Click image for larger version

Name:	WoodysKnife.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	3417  

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Cutco is definitely not a good value for money spent.

Better value can be had for a lot less money.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 AM   #39
Senior Cook

buzzard767,

The Miata is a nice toy, but as far as I know is just that: A toy. The car design (Chassis and suspension) is just too old. The original idea was nice: A nimble sports car, but it is just too dated and really screams for a redesign. It is good value though.

Look into a Subaru Impreza WXR STi. For less than 35K's, you get 300-plus HP and 290 Lb-ft torque, all wheel drive, with manual 6-speed and Brembos all standard. To me, those numbers are more impressive on a production vehicle.

Relative to the comment about the Ford Focus. The last time I checked the World Rally Championship standings, Ford Focus were first and second, I didn't see any Miatas.
A good used Focus SVT ZX3 with tuned suspension, Brembo brakes and supercharged engine should handle the Miata without problems (note: the SVT comes with a 170 HP standard engine)

BTW, I happen to work for Ford and know both vehicles quite well, Ford owns 33% of Mazda. I will not comment anymore on cars since this is a cooking forum.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #40
Sous Chef

That's all true for stock Miatas but there's hardly anything stock left on my car including the suspension.

This is what can be done.

I'm with you. Enough about cars. Back to knives, sharpening, and cooking - the things that brought me here in the first place.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote