"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 06-08-2005, 01:06 AM   #21
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to Heat

Wow!! Thanks ChocolateChef for that pic. So if i take a pic of my knife do one of you Smart Chefs out there think you might be able to tell me what kind of knife it is? Name, age etc? Gosh that would be so exciting!! Hahahaha Actually it looks like the third one from the right. But it has a straight handle. If you think you can let me know and ill post a pic of it here!

"There is no fear in love;
but perfect love casteth out fear"
-The Bible
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:20 PM   #22
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to Heat
Ok i hope this works! Can anybody tell me anything about my knife?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knife.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	143  

"There is no fear in love;
but perfect love casteth out fear"
-The Bible
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:55 PM   #23
Assistant Cook
i have a set of Kai Wasabi japanese knives they are awesome.

by the way, nice shun, Mr. Dove
"Food happens, i just hope i am there for it"
Food Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:20 PM   #24
Head Chef
Heat, I wish I could. Hopefully this will bump it up so someone can help you out. I don't have much knowledge on type of knives. Several year ago my boyfriend bought me a set of cutco knives. They were pretty expensive, but anytime I need them reshrpened all I need to do is send them in and cutco resharpens them for me. My grandmother and mother also have cutco knives so I don't have any hand me downs other than that brand.
Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:27 AM   #25
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Mr_Dove
Here's a pic of mine. LOVE it.

that's a beautiful knife.
i've been searching for which ones(s) i want for my new place but can't decide yet.
i have my eye on a henckels set but i'm not so sure i like the look of the handles. they're not very pretty.
right now i just use my Dad's knives; he has about a million of them, lol. all different brands.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:54 PM   #26
Executive Chef
I have a beautifully ballanced chef's knife forged in Crisfield MD at a now gone forever local cutlery manufacturer. I also have a set from Macy's which is really very fine, and a sale item at the time. As soon as all the pots and pans are collected I may turn to German knives for solace.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 12:33 AM   #27
Master Chef
And I still love my Croma 10 inch chef's knife designed by F.A Porsche. Aafter a good year and a half of everday, and I do mean everyday, use, I finally had to spend about 5 minutes or so with a fine-grit wet-stone, and then 10 strokes per side on a good steel to make it razor-sharp again. And it still does an amazing job for me.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:31 AM   #28
Assistant Cook
Location: Rochester, New York, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Sol.
Send a message via AIM to Brawnfire Send a message via MSN to Brawnfire Send a message via Yahoo to Brawnfire
I have an obsessive love for my Ulu knife. I purchased it in Alaska, and it works like a charm.

For those who don't know what an ulu knife is; It's basically a curved rocker blade on a handle. You can wrap your hand completely around the handle and have a sharp, curved blade jutting out from your knuckles, like an evil version of brass knuckles. It also comes with a heavy-duty wooden cutting bowl.

With this thing, I can cut onions, tomatoes, peppers, anything, in seconds, often before I have a chance to cry! It's great because of the amount of curries I make.

Whenever I'm at work, I pine for this thing. They hand me a dull old costco-knockoff, and expect me to chop onions, peppers, ham, pepperoni, all that stuff with this, and to do it FAST. Most of my time is spent separating the cut pieces with my hands, AFTER cutting it! I think it would be put to better use threatening my manager for a better knife.
Brawnfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:05 AM   #29
Master Chef
Ah - the Ulu - the Eskimo version of the Italian Mezzaluna. I can see where it would perhaps be an advantage for an Eskimo skinning a walrus or something (I have a skinning knife I only use when hunting which would have absolutely no good purpose in the kitchen) ... but not a great advantage in chopping vegetables.

I think you identified your real problem ... "a dull old costco-knockoff". Nobody can be efficient with any kind of a dull knife. You could have a dozen Ulu's at hand but if they were dull, could you really do any better?

I would press the boss for something to sharpen the knives you have to work with.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:43 AM   #30
Sous Chef
My 20cm Füri (Australian Brand http://www.furitechnics.com.au/) Chefs Knife. It was a toss up between this or a 20cm Global Chefs Knife, I chose the Furi because I like a bit of weight in my main knife and the handle is so comfortable in my hand. I find Global knife handles to be too thin, I could see it becoming uncomfortable with any large amount of kitchen work.

However I will probably get a 6"-8" Global paring/utility knife as the handle is much less of an issue.

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote