"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 06-04-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
Cook

Favorite Knife or Knives

Okay i know this one has probably been asked about a thousand times before but I am just way to lazy to look through all 25+ pages of threads.
Mine would have to be my wusthof grand prix 9cm pairing knife. I know alot of people will say global, and i like them too, its just that my wusthof has always stayed sharp.

Old 06-05-2005, 12:47 AM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_the_chef
Okay i know this one has probably been asked about a thousand times before but I am just way to lazy to look through all 25+ pages of threads.
Mine would have to be my wusthof grand prix 9cm pairing knife. I know alot of people will say global, and i like them too, its just that my wusthof has always stayed sharp.
I have 2 favs at the moment... both are Wustoff Classic. My 6" chef's knife and 5" boning knife. The small size of the chef makes it almost a utility knife, and I use it for most everything. The boning knife is also a great utility knife (and it bones pretty good too... )

Old 06-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
I use a 10 inch Henkles chef's knife much of the time, I also use a global santuko and 6 inch chefs knife. I use a global paring knife as well. I find the edge on the global knives holds up very well and comes back to a razor like edge with a few draws across a diamond steel.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
My favorite is the Global Chef's Knife, 8". This thing floats in my hand. Wicked sharp. Some people really don't like the way it feels though.

Link
Old 06-05-2005, 09:38 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Heat
Talking

HAHAHHA MJ and Mitch , if you seen my knife you would laugh! I do not know what it is made of i think its carbon steel, and it has the steel the length of the handle with brass rivots. Its, about 12" Long, and sharp as a razor, Its a Butcher knife. I've never ever have sharpened it. I use it for everything. I mean everything. It was my mothers. It's definately an antique. But gosh its just feels good in my hands. You know?
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat
HAHAHHA MJ and Mitch , if you seen my knife you would laugh! I do not know what it is made of i think its carbon steel, and it has the steel the length of the handle with brass rivots. Its, about 12" Long, and sharp as a razor, Its a Butcher knife. I've never ever have sharpened it. I use it for everything. I mean everything. It was my mothers. It's definately an antique. But gosh its just feels good in my hands. You know?
I know what you mean! I love vintage carbon steel knives too! They are what I grew up with, and what I still like the best.

I have vintage carbon steel knives from various makers: Dexter Russell, Henckels, Wusthoff Trident, F. Dick, Lamson, and a few others. They are all wonderful knives.

But my favorites are carbon steel vintage Sabatier knives!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
Cook

A story and a second.

Sabatier?! I've always heard those were really good knives. I have read a couple stories on those to i think, but the one that comes to mind is Anthony Bourdain. I think this guy is my favorite chef (though i have many), and i vaguely remember him talking about using these in the book Kitchen Confidential. I also think that the knives he has attached to the waste of his chefs jacket are sebatiers. Anyway i was wondering if anyone had a picture of one of them, that maybe they could post it on the forum along with a comment about the knife?
I thought it would be cool to tell you guys and gals a story behind one of my knives, A global chefs knife thats 10 inches. Yes a little big for me but i actually got it for free at a banquet i was helping out with on the second day. I actually met the owner of the global knife company in Japan!! Though i can't remember his name .

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #8

Julia Child and Jeff Smith used Sabatier knives too!

I don't have a digital camera, so I stole this photo off the web. But these are almost exact duplicates of my knives, and I am ashamed to say, the number of my Sabatier knives in my collection
Old 06-06-2005, 12:25 PM   #9
Cook

Thumbs up Cool!!!

Wow thanks alot ChocolateChef for the picture, I envy you regardless of how many of them you have. I have also noticed that some look newer or different from eachother in the pictures. Do they have a new version of sebatiers?! I sure hope so! Anyway my lunch is almost over, i have to get back to school.
Adios.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:18 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Here's a pic of mine. LOVE it.