"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-27-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Thumbs up Funny Looking Safety Protection Device.

Has anyone seen this sort of funny looking safety device?
I bought one during the Christmas weekend because I got so sick & tired of cutting myself when cutting up onions, bell peppers, celery or carrots.

It's made of stainless steel and has an adjustable ring on the back that slips over your middle finger. Your other fingers stay behind this device and out of danger of the knife when slicing, chopping, dicing and cubing food. No more nicks & cuts from your knife!

And it's very santitary because it's made of stainless steel. It can be washed in the dishwasher. I bought it from Williams Sonoma. Try it out.

~Corey123.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
Master Chef

Williams-Sonoma calls them a Cooks' Cutting Guard and CHEF's Catalog calls them a Stainless Steel Finger Guard.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:00 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Thank you.

~Corey123.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I know that this is an old topic, but what I am looking for is a metal mesh glove worn on the left hand. I saw a sandwich-maker at Safeway using this.

Does anyone here know if this is readily available or if one has to shop at the comercial kitchen supply companies?

Thanks! I have had no luck finding a well-rated one on the Web.

PS: Yes, a few hours ago I just sliced about 1/2 of the nailbed off of my left middle finger while slicing scallions for the scrambled eggs. Never again. I've never bled like this and now I can't touch-type either.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I wouldn't be willing to use a metal glove around my knives, I might be willing to use Kevlar though.

Curl your fingers under and sharpen your knives. The scarier the edge on it the more you pay attention and keep your fingers out of the way.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Senior Cook

It is true, I was cutting like crazy...
Old 01-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Head Chef

There are many steel mesh gloves on Amazon. I suspect the best are Whiting and Davis/Chainex. (Remember great-granny's mesh purse - that's them.) $100 to $125. Other brands down to about $70. Three-finger mesh gloves a bit less.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Many thanx, GLC. I will go to Amazon again, where all I could find was one device and it was being panned.

By the way, I was using a sharp knife. Couldn't have been sharper. Of course, the basic cause was that I was chopping fast, but we are allowed to be imperfect in this world, and that is why we use protection according to our individual needs. I have too many scars, and I guess that is why even some home cooks go for these gloves.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I more or less agree with Frank. One of the most dangerous things you can have is a dull knife, because you have to assert more pressure. It's easier to control a sharper knife because you're putting your muscle effort into steering it instead of pushing it down. The harder you push the more likely you are to slip and have an accident.

And don't get crazy. Use proper technique and calm down, don't get in a hurry, and methodically complete your cutting/chopping job in an orderly manner.

In many things in life I use as a guideline what I see experts doing. I've never seen a professional chef wear a metal mesh glove. I've seen only butchers using them, usually filleting large amounts of fish. Instead, watch an expert chef on one of the food channels, perhaps Jacques Pepin, and copy the technique.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Thank you for your good advice, Gourmet Greg.