"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You have great faith in human kind. It will all be a new toy. And you know how it is when you get a new toy.
Yes, I do. As soon as I open the package, I want to use it. I suppose that could happen at the exact moment I should be starting to prepare a meal...

Old 05-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I have Tojiro DP and Masahiro gyotus, both very hard steel, the Tojiro clad in a layer of slightly softer stainless steel to protect the forged Swedish tool steel under it. Helps prevent chipping. These knives come sharp...very sharp, and can either be sharpened with a water stone (get a 3000 grit), or, just dress occasionally with a ceramic stick sharpener. For softer steel, that meaning most German or American knives, I use a ceramic stick and follow with a steel. Please do not use a steel on a Japanese knife. They form a slight wire like softer steel, but they do not get wavy from use. Just finish with a gentle few strokes from the ceramic. A steel may chip the harder steel. BTW, I really like both Tojiro and Masahiro, and recommend both very highly. The Tojiro DP is a clad blade and less likely to be damaged accidentally than the Masahiro, but the Masahiro will be lighter and more agile in your hand. Has a more comfy grip, too.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I have Tojiro DP and Masahiro gyotus, both very hard steel, the Tojiro clad in a layer of slightly softer stainless steel to protect the forged Swedish tool steel under it. Helps prevent chipping. These knives come sharp...very sharp, and can either be sharpened with a water stone (get a 3000 grit), or, just dress occasionally with a ceramic stick sharpener. For softer steel, that meaning most German or American knives, I use a ceramic stick and follow with a steel. Please do not use a steel on a Japanese knife. They form a slight wire like softer steel, but they do not get wavy from use. Just finish with a gentle few strokes from the ceramic. A steel may chip the harder steel. BTW, I really like both Tojiro and Masahiro, and recommend both very highly. The Tojiro DP is a clad blade and less likely to be damaged accidentally than the Masahiro, but the Masahiro will be lighter and more agile in your hand. Has a more comfy grip, too.
I've decided on the Tojiro DP 2 or 3 piece set, the quality for the money is too good to pass up.

So I don't need to steel the Tojiros? Just sharpen occasionally?

Anything you'd recommend beside the water stone? I was thinking a manual sharpener like the Chef's Choice 463 or Spyder Sharpmaker.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I use a ceramic rod. It looks almost like a steel...wooden handle with a ceramic rod instead of a piece of steel sticking out. Occasionally scrub the rod with a Scotchbrite pad and some cleanser to remove the metal from the surface. You don't need anything fancy or expensive, and using the ceramic stick will help you learn about blade angles gently, as it only removes a small amount of metal, and slowly. Your new Tojiro's shouldn't require frequent sharpening. Please don't use like a cleaver against bone.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I'll be ordering one of the two piece (F-800 and F-808), two piece professional (F-800 and F-809), or three piece (F-800, F-802, F-808) tonight in addition to probably a Forschner bread knife. Anyone know how much shipping to Canada is from CKtG?

Just need to figure out what to buy for sharpener.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
Head Chef

I've bought many sharpeners over the years, both electric and manual. I've settled on The Edgemaker system, it's the one that works best for me when I do the paper cut test. It's also relatively cheap to buy.
The Edgemaker sharpens serrated knives too. I own the red one, the blue one and the yellow one.

EDGEMAKER - Knife Sharpeners
Old 05-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Went to order my Tojiro's and shipping was near $40 :( E-mailed a Canadian company to see if they would price match or at least be somewhat more competitive but not expecting much.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Try searching Tojiro DP on ebay. The knives are there, priced competitively, and I think the shipping cost may be a pleasant surprise.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Try searching Tojiro DP on ebay. The knives are there, priced competitively, and I think the shipping cost may be a pleasant surprise.
That's a good idea - I found bluewayjapan who seems to be a good seller. Does this look legit?

Japanese TOJIRO DP Cobalt Gyuto Chef Knife 210mm | eBay

Same price for the Gyuto as CKtG but doesn't offer the 2-piece or 3-piece set, nor do they have paring knives, only the gyuto, nakiri, and petty for the most part. However, at $4 shipping it's definitely something I'm considering. I could purchase that and then buy some Forschners local (bread knife, utility, paring).

Guess it depends though - by ordering the two or three piece set I save about $20-50 from buying individual which covers part if not all of shipping. But then I have to worry about customs and stuff too.

Decisions!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Yes, that seller looks legitimate.

Tags
knives