"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A solid reason to go with the less expensive choice that can perform quite well. If, after some use, you want to move up, it's time to consider a J knife.
I agree Andy, but OTOH, $119.95 is not a bad price to get a wife want she wants.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #52
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I agree Andy, but OTOH, $119.95 is not a bad price to get a wife want she wants.
It's not the $120.00 so much as the follow up care. Lots of folks don't want to be bothered with finding a custom sharpener, shipping a knife or knives to that person and waiting, knifeless, until they come back. No idea how much such a custom sharpening would cost on top of the two-way shipping.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #53
Assistant Cook

Sorry that this discussion has been so up and down.

Yep, my wife and I agreed to just get the Furi 2 Santoku knife set for $40. We are going to use it as a test. If we can take care of these knives for 6 months, then we can get the Miyagi.

As far as sharpening, I know SLT does them for $1 per inch. So we can easily afford that once or twice a year. And then we will steel them once or twice a week.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #54
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfamily View Post
Sorry that this discussion has been so up and down.

Yep, my wife and I agreed to just get the Furi 2 Santoku knife set for $40. We are going to use it as a test. If we can take care of these knives for 6 months, then we can get the Miyagi.

As far as sharpening, I know SLT does them for $1 per inch. So we can easily afford that once or twice a year. And then we will steel them once or twice a week.

Sounds like a good way to go. FWIW, I steel my knives after every use. Wash, dry, steel, store.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 PM   #55
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sounds like a good way to go. FWIW, I steel my knives after every use. Wash, dry, steel, store.
Ha. We'll first see if we can keep them clean after use. Most likely I will steel them twice a week at night. I'll just put it in my calendar. I live by my calendar. As I tell the people at work...if it's not in my calendar, it is NOT going to happen.

Tags
knife