"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Clearwater,FL
Posts: 37
Magnetic Knife Bar

When I retired I bought a Condo and sold my house. In consequence I now have a very small kitchen. I'm trying to rearrange things a bit and one thing I would like to try is a magnetic knife bar, however what I would really like is one that would magnetically attach to the side of my refrigerator. Does anyone know of one that would do this?

Thanks

__________________

__________________
flphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,341
You can buy a roll of magnetic material (like thick tape) and glue it to the back of the knife holder. They are pretty powerful magnets.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
I shy away from magnetic knife bars due to personal experience. I had one, and some of the knifes were too heavy, or didn't make solid contact (Chicago Cutlery hollow ground), and so fell off regularly. And if you are using stainless steel, some will stick to a magnet, while others won't. Ferritic stainless steels are generally magnetic while austenitic stainless steels usually are not.

So, before purchasing a magnetic knife bar, make sure all of your knives will stick to a magnet.

Not relavant for this thread, but I saw a post where it was stated that a pan needs to be magnetic to work with an induction stove. That is not true. It does need to contain iron, however, and should be a relativley poor conductor of electrical current, thus producing heat as electrical eddy currents are produced through induction, a process where expanding and collapsing magenetic flux lines pass through the metal, creating electrical currents. Due to the resistance of the iron, or steel, the metal is heated by the eddy currents.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,409
I've had mine for years..no problem.
__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Clearwater,FL
Posts: 37
That's a great idea Andy, I hadn't thought of that. Both are on order and should be here on Fri. As for the knife sticking to a magnet no issue there either.
__________________
flphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
That's a great idea Andy, I hadn't thought of that. Both are on order and should be here on Fri. As for the knife sticking to a magnet no issue there either.
Sounds like you are in business. I hope you can find the perfect spot to install it, and that it gives you great service.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
When I retired I bought a Condo and sold my house. In consequence I now have a very small kitchen. I'm trying to rearrange things a bit and one thing I would like to try is a magnetic knife bar, however what I would really like is one that would magnetically attach to the side of my refrigerator. Does anyone know of one that would do this?

Thanks
I'm also retired and living in a condo. I used to use a knife block but needed the counter space so I bought a magnetic knife bar. the only place I could mount it was on a clear section of backsplash under kitchen cabinets. Here's how it looked before the remodel. You can see it's a tight fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_DSC02943_1024.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	24122  
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You can buy a roll of magnetic material (like thick tape) and glue it to the back of the knife holder. They are pretty powerful magnets.

I really like my magnetic knife bar. Had not thought of the magnetic tape, great idea! I may even have some in the craft room.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Clearwater,FL
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm also retired and living in a condo. I used to use a knife block but needed the counter space so I bought a magnetic knife bar. the only place I could mount it was on a clear section of backsplash under kitchen cabinets. Here's how it looked before the remodel. You can see it's a tight fit.
That's the only spot I really have free as well Andy just wasn't sure I'd like it there. That's way I'm thinking the fridge. I'll try it that way and if it doesn't work I'll rethink I'll look at under the cabinets over the sink.

Thanks Andy
__________________
flphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
That's the only spot I really have free as well Andy just wasn't sure I'd like it there. That's way I'm thinking the fridge. I'll try it that way and if it doesn't work I'll rethink I'll look at under the cabinets over the sink.

Thanks Andy

I also used that spot because it's right in front of my prep area.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
knife

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.