"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-31-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What they said About the knife block, though - I don't have space between my upper cabinets and backslash for a magnetic holder, so I bought a Henckels knife block that holds the knives on their sides rather than the edges. This prevents the block from dulling the sides.
Mine isn't Henckels, but it holds them sideways too.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:38 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What they said About the knife block, though - I don't have space between my upper cabinets and backslash for a magnetic holder, so I bought a Henckels knife block that holds the knives on their sides rather than the edges. This prevents the block from dulling the sides.
When I used a block, I used to put the knives in sharp edge up to prevent dulling the edge.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When I used a block, I used to put the knives in sharp edge up to prevent dulling the edge.
Good idea. That works, too.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:57 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's what I used to do when I had a wooden knife block.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:05 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I have very small hands. When trying out knives, some feel like it is a sword instead of a knife. The handle was too long. And there were paring knives I held and it felt like the handle was so short, that I would be handling the blade.

You have received some excellent advice from everyone here. A matching set is nice to look at and show off to all your friends. But if you have a chance to see any of Julia Child shows, on the wall between the windows you will see a whole array of knives. I doubt any two match. They all have an individual job to perform.

I received a beautiful 12" Shun knife from Japan as a gift. It was so long in my hand that I had no control over it. A medical disaster waiting to happen. I gave it away to one of my children and bought myself a 7" Chicago Cutlery Chef's knife. A perfect fit for my hand and skill level.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:06 PM   #16
Master Chef

I agree about selecting your own knives rather than a set. Too many people are sucked into sets because the storage for the set just looks so inviting and convenient. I have a large knife block that sits next to my sink sideways because it works best for me that way. Whatever works for your kitchen, but don't just shove them in a drawer.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:18 PM   #17
Head Chef

I'm not sure why some knives cost so damn much. Not being a chef, paying $139 for one knife seems ridiculous to me. Knives like that must have special powers or they must stay sharper longer or something.

I have a few knives of semi good quality and modestly priced. I think I'm thru with trying to sharpen them myself. I've tried at least 5 different knife sharpeners, electric, hand held, diamond encrusted,etc.
I now take them to a guy who is at the supermarket on Mondays and he charges about $3 per knife. He uses a table mounted tall vertical belt sander like thingy. He puts the edge on, then changes the belt to a honing belt. He sure gets them sharp! I'm not going to even try and use my "EdgeMaker" honing sharpner to keep them sharp as it would probably dull those pro sharpened knives.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I lucked out. Got a nice Chicago Cutlery set in a block as a wedding present a few milleniums ago, and another cheap set in another block as a Christmas present that included steak knives. I've inherited some cleavers, boning knife, and a few others as well. I did buy a couple cheap Santokus and a bread knife from Walmart.

I mostly use my chef's knife, paring knives, and bread knife. I do like to admire all the others. DH feels quite useful sharpening them on the Chef's Choice electric sharpener.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
A friend of mine decided it was worth learning to sharpen his knives. He brought them to a different outlet of the chain store that we use to have our knives sharpened. They were totally ruined. Luckily, when he complained to the company headquarters, they apologized and replaced his knives.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:50 PM   #20
Head Chef

Specialty knives I just picked up today for my sushi .....

Tags
knife