Recommend Steak Knife set.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nimrod

Assistant Cook
Looking to pick up a set of 6 or 8 steak knives. I want to keep it under $100. I would like non-serrated blades. I prefer handles that are not wood. Unless you talk me into wood. I don't like flimsy knives.
What do you suggest?

OK. Tell me what I must spend.

IMO, your best bet is to go to a kitchen or cutlery store and see what they have available. That way you'll have an opportunity to handle them and decide what you like. 99.9% of steak knife sets have a serrated edge.

39915.jpg

I still don't see the function of a steak knife.

If the meat is that tough (?) that I need an extra sharp knife, something is wrong with the meat.

A real good STeak you can cut with a plain knife you use for preparing sandwiches or something like that.... or if it is REAL good meat, a fork is all you need...

Think about your meat supplier if you think you need a steak knife.

Cara, I think steak knife is an American thing. I never had one before I came here and I ate plenty of stakes.
Somebody gae us a Wustof set of stake knives I returned them and got some from Target, they were a quarter of the price. I agree with cara if you need an extra special stak knife there is something wrong with you stake. Unless you have no limit with money then by all means you can get as fancy as you wish. Other wise I'd stay with something simple. ANy kitchen store should have good enough set.

Here, how about this one:
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=719

May I suggest that you do not want to spend an outrageous price on steak knives.

I have excellent kitchen knives, and I'm very protective about who uses them and how they're handled. Obviously, no dishwasher. But it goes beyond that. We only use them on a proper cutting board. Hard countertops, pans, platters, and ceramic dishes are very hard on knives. Everyone automatically tells you to only use cutting boards. We all also know not to throw them in a drawer where the edges will get banged together and dinged. We keep the edges protected in blocks or other protective storage.

But the first thing your guests do with a steak knife is cut on a ceramic plate, hit the bone, and scrape the edge on a fork. At the end of the meal, they pile the flatware together on the plate, doing more damage. It's just part of what a steak knife is for. If I spent a lot on them, I would be running from person to person cutting their food just to protect my knives! :ROFLMAO:

I would look for something more moderately priced, that will look nice with my tableware, and you won't be upset when they take the abuse that is inherent in their purpose. Many of the kitchen stores in the malls and outlets sell attractive, serviceable sets of 4 for about $20.

I read Consumer Reports and several reviews. I finally opted for just a stamped set. I ordered the OXO Professional Series. It was a 14 piece set for $75. So, could have gone cheaper. Could have gone with more expensive liked forged Wustof's or Forchners etc.
Hope they work out.

Hope you'll be using them on tender boneless steaks. I've read that Oxo's had problems with tang breakage on their steak knives. If this happens to you, you might want to try a Dexter (< $40 ea):
details_sendbinary.asp

I read Consumer Reports and several reviews. I finally opted for just a stamped set. I ordered the OXO Professional Series. It was a 14 piece set for $75. So, could have gone cheaper. Could have gone with more expensive liked forged Wustof's or Forchners etc.
Hope they work out.

Great advice!

To add...As you'll learn from the knife pro's on here, got to keep the knives sharp. A new Ronco knife will be better than a dull shun knife. For $50, from the big auction site I was able to get the pictured Henckels presentation set brand new. They cut great, although there's better stuff out there. I mainly got them for the wow factor, as my guests always seem to be impressed when they get to take their out of the box. You get a "luxury" looking box which also protects the knives when not using. Mindset is, the heavier the better quality, these are heavy even though that statement isn't entirely accurate. Than lastly most everyone ASSUMES Henckels is quality.

As far as cutting, you can find Victorinox's stamped for around $50 on the big auction site as well.

henckelsknives_1.jpg

Chicago Cutlery makes some very inexpensive steak knife sets. I can't vouch for the modern ones, but twenty years ago they were very popular.

Americas test kitchen recommends cuisinart steak knives - set of four $ 30 , non serated ,I got some and they are better than my henkles . the price i quoted could be off a smig. Regards Gage

I still don't see the function of a steak knife.

If the meat is that tough (?) that I need an extra sharp knife, something is wrong with the meat.

A real good STeak you can cut with a plain knife you use for preparing sandwiches or something like that.... or if it is REAL good meat, a fork is all you need...

Think about your meat supplier if you think you need a steak knife.
I do not think the posters are talking about schweinsteak, Cara.

May I suggest that you do not want to spend an outrageous price on steak knives.

I have excellent kitchen knives, and I'm very protective about who uses them and how they're handled. Obviously, no dishwasher. But it goes beyond that. We only use them on a proper cutting board. Hard countertops, pans, platters, and ceramic dishes are very hard on knives. Everyone automatically tells you to only use cutting boards. We all also know not to throw them in a drawer where the edges will get banged together and dinged. We keep the edges protected in blocks or other protective storage.

But the first thing your guests do with a steak knife is cut on a ceramic plate, hit the bone, and scrape the edge on a fork. At the end of the meal, they pile the flatware together on the plate, doing more damage. It's just part of what a steak knife is for. If I spent a lot on them, I would be running from person to person cutting their food just to protect my knives! :ROFLMAO:

I would look for something more moderately priced, that will look nice with my tableware, and you won't be upset when they take the abuse that is inherent in their purpose. Many of the kitchen stores in the malls and outlets sell attractive, serviceable sets of 4 for about $20.
I'm in agreement with you on steak knives. I regard then as tableware, not cutlery. The set I now have came from an outlet store for less than $30 for six.

Like you, I have excellent kitchen knives, and they would never go near a metal or ceramic surface. They are scary sharp, used only on a wood cutting board, never open a package, and are washed and dried immediately after use.

I use the following for my eating-at-a restaurant steak knife. It has better steel than most all of the laguioles, costs less, and is made in Titusville, PA.

Attachments

• fandwseries5edition2toothpick.jpg
    fandwseries5edition2toothpick.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
I can't imagine not having steak knives, certainly table knives won't work on even the tenderest Fillet Mignon.

I have a set of beautiful Laguiole steak knives with pearl handles that I really treasure, and then I have the "every day" ones I think I bought at someplace like Target for under $30.00.

That knife is beautiful Bill !!

Last edited:
I can't imagine not having steak knives, certainly table knives won't work on even the tenderest Fillet Mignon.

I have a set of beautiful Laguiole steak knives with pearl handles that I really treasure, and then I have the "every day" ones I think I bought at someplace like Target for under $30.00.

That knife is beautiful Bill !!
Thanks, Kayelle, it's one of the last of a dying breed and the 4 1/4" blade is adequate. Very few if any steak joints supply steak knives that are not serrated. I like to slice (not saw) my cooked steak into thin slices.

I only recommend New West Knife Works. Why? Because it's just the way I am. I kinda figure guys in Jackson Hole Wyoming might know something about steak and knives. And they're on sale right now.

Back
Top Bottom