"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-12-2010, 02:58 AM   #51
Assistant Cook

Can anyone tell me if ceramic knives are brittle? What happens when I twirl and knock one off the bench?

Old 02-12-2010, 03:23 AM   #52
Head Chef

Yes, they are brittle. What happens when you drop them...well, that depends on luck. I saw some tool on youtube post a vid where he repeatedly dropped a ceramic knife onto a tile floor with no damage. However, it never hit tip first- that can break the tip off of even a steel knife, and will often completely shatter a ceramic. A few friends of mine have dropped ceramics and had them break in half. Again, it depends on luck plus how it lands/what it lands on.

The edge is brittle, too. Ceramic is very hard but not very tough. Imagine, for instance, a knife made completely of glass. Glass is very hard, but imagine using that hard edge to cut some frozen food. You could easily chip the edge up pretty badly.

Ceramic knives probably have their place but they're not made for hard use.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #53
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
You're gonna love how it comes off your Edge Pro. The edge is okay OOTB but you'll be amazed at how it will cut fresh off the highest-grit EP stones.

Rob,

I just got the Tojiro Santoku. Holly snikes is this knife sharp OOTB. You said I can get it sharper than this . Wow I am placing another order for more of these..lol
Old 02-14-2010, 02:56 AM   #54
Head Chef

A bit of practice with your EP and you'll get a knife sharper. At least I can...of course, I've been at this awhile!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #55
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
A bit of practice with your EP and you'll get a knife sharper. At least I can...of course, I've been at this awhile!

My neighbor brought me 3 Forschner Fibrox that were soo dull. He is a butcher at Publix and uses them daily. He was telling me how hard they are to cut with. When I got done with them damn they were sharp. I love this EP. It is the best thing I bought, I wished I would have knew about this device years ago .

I am waiting for him to call me to tell me how sharp they are. I have learned soo much in the last week on this system. I was putting too much force into sharpening that they would come out mediocre. Now I am developing a light stroke to sharpening and it is making a world of difference. I got a brand new set of stones from Ben in the mail yesterday. He shipped my replacement fast. His service is top notch.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #56
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisc202 View Post
My neighbor brought me 3 Forschner Fibrox that were soo dull. He is a butcher at Publix and uses them daily. He was telling me how hard they are to cut with. When I got done with them damn they were sharp.
Hmm, sounds like a good way to get in good with your butcher! I'm suprised that a butcher doesn't sharpen his own knives though.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #57
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
Hmm, sounds like a good way to get in good with your butcher! I'm suprised that a butcher doesn't sharpen his own knives though.

He just became a butcher :). He was telling me that the older guy that has been a butcher their uses stones and will not do anyones but his own. I told him I will take care of his knives if he buys the stones. He said no problem so I will take care of his knives going forward.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #58
Head Chef

Quote:
He just became a butcher :). He was telling me that the older guy that has been a butcher their uses stones and will not do anyones but his own. I told him I will take care of his knives if he buys the stones. He said no problem so I will take care of his knives going forward.
That makes sense! And sounds like a good arrangement. I am sure you will get the deals on the best cuts!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:44 AM   #59
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Don't use soap. Never use soap. Use only water and an abrasive. This happens automatically when you flatten the stones. I'm assuming you know that the stones need flattening.... yes? no? If no, you need a flattening medium.
I wanted to back up and expand on this. Waterstones are friable- they break down with use, constantly exposing fresh media/grit. That's the secret to why they cut so fast at nearly all grits. The matrix (often ceramic or resin) is water-permeable. If you get contaminants like oil (or some soaps) on the stone it will wick right thru the surface, giving you problems later. It can gum up the binder and mess up the surface of the stone, which you don't want.

That said, I will report that some people use a couple drops of dish detergent mixed into the water bottle they use to wet the stones during use. Mea Culpa- I sometimes do this with the stock EP stones and I've never had a problem (I'm to chicken to try it on my spendy stones, though). It seems to help the OEM ones a bit.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #60
Head Chef

Quote:
I have learned soo much in the last week on this system. I was putting too much force into sharpening that they would come out mediocre. Now I am developing a light stroke to sharpening and it is making a world of difference. I got a brand new set of stones from Ben in the mail yesterday. He shipped my replacement fast. His service is top notch.

I see your Sharpening Kung-Fu is getting stronger! That's such a huge thing that I want to reiterate it- go slow, go light. When you learn to always do that, an incredible edge is inevitable. A light touch and a deliberate stroke- those are essential. Ultimately, think of each stroke as being purposeful, "Zen-like", even. Why draw your knife across the stone if you don't have a specific plan and purpose for that stroke? As you get better you will literally plan each and every movement of the knife and stone to maximize your edge. And I don't mean five years from now- I mean in five weeks.