"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
i have been extrememly happy with my gas webber. i ahve had charcol grills in the past and i really cannot say that the food tasted any better. one can always buy wood chipps, cherry, etc. to add some smokie flavor to the meats or vegies.
Here at DC, I have read about making smoke with wood chips on a propane grill. It's one of the reasons why I am willing to consider propane.

How hard is it to use the wood chips with a propane grill? Can you use them with all propane grills or is there something special I should look for?

Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...How hard is it to use the wood chips with a propane grill? Can you use them with all propane grills or is there something special I should look for?
I've done it. Make a foil packet with soaked wood chips, poke a few holes in the top to let the smoke out and place it on a deflector over one of the burners (usually opposite where the food is.)

Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I do the foil packet often. I just place it on the thingy that covers the burner and place the cooking grate back on. If I'm doing some slow cooking on the grill like ribs, I'll do 2 packets. I place the meat on the opposite side, that isn't on.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #34
Master Chef

I have and use both. And I get nice flavors from my gas grill simply because its filthy and full of grease buildup.
But I prefer charcoal or wood because I enjoy playing with fire. So cool.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #35
Executive Chef

I tried the foil packet on a gas barbecue several times, followed the directions regarding soaking and making the packet from foil and poking holes, used a 2 burner gas grill which let me shut off one side and put the packet there (right on the unlit burner) and I never got any good results. (Tried both hickory and mesquite chips.) I finally concluded that this just does not work, or at least does not work for me, and I resolved to get a charcoal grill/smoker sometime in the future.

For me, I want both a gas grill and a charcoal grill, and probably eventually get a vertical smoker too.

I think if I had to pick just one I would pick gas, for its convenience. But I think a charcoal grill will always out perform a gas grill, but at the cost of more labor required.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I tried the foil packet on a gas barbecue several times, followed the directions regarding soaking and making the packet from foil and poking holes, used a 2 burner gas grill which let me shut off one side and put the packet there (right on the unlit burner) and I never got any good results...
You put the packet on the unlit burner? That's why it didn't work. You're trying to burn wet wood. The burner has to be lighted to accomplish that.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #37
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I've had less than ideal results adding smoke flavor on a propane grill using one of these smoker boxes.

This item or the foil pouch just can't do the work of a purpose built smoker. You can get some smoke flavor. Don't expect a smoke ring or bark on the meat.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Actually it was a couple years ago and I forgot now which I did. The results I got were detectable but not worth the effort, and not any kind of smoke ring or even strong smoke taste. More like just the slightest hint of a taste.

I grew disgusted with the project and decided the only to do it is the right way, with gear designed for that purpose. I'm pretty good at cooking and a reasonably good barbecuist too, I gave it my best effort, and I got unsatisfactory results. Most of my cooking endeavors end in spectacular results.

In fact I just remembered I tried one of the smoker boxes too, and followed the product directions, and that didn't have any satisfactory result either. I returned it to Home Depot for a refund.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I've done well with the foil packet, I can get a good smoke ring on ribs. I do put it right over the lit burner.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #40
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Just catching up to this thread.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is where the grill is going to sit. I would not do charcoal on a wooden deck. I have dropped too many hot coals on the stone patio.