"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 05-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I lived in my truck for a bunch of years and then about 20 years later, I lived in my car for a couple months.

I kept a Coleman stove attached to a propane tank and cooked on that (yes, I slept next to a propane tank and cooked in my car). When I had the truck, I put a heater on the large propane tank and kept a small one to power the stove, but the car was too small for that kind of heater. My next investment would have been to get a propane heater rated safe for indoor use, but I got housing before I could get that.

In the car, I kept a couple collapsible plastic clothes bag. One had clean clothes and as I wore them, they went into the other bag, which eventually got pulled out and brought to the laundromat. I got one of those plastic drawer units and kept toiletries in one drawer, paper plates and plastic silverware in another, boxes of garbage bags, handy wrap, and foil in another, and then just a catchall drawer for things like matches, batteries,etc.

One one side of the drawers I drilled some hooks into the plastic and hung my measuring cups and measuring spoons. On the other side I put up a paper towel holder and some hooks to hold rope where I hung the kitchen towels and hot pads. Because I was in a PT Cruiser and the back roof slopes down, I had just enough room to hang a couple of pots and one frying pan from the back. I also kept Kleenex there on the floor under the pots and pans.

I folded the front seat down and was able to put a box for canned and boxed food there alongside a slim 2 1/2 gallon water container with a spigot. I kept two 1-gal water jugs on the floor of the front seat and also fit a small cooler there as well.

Collapsible bowls for washing up and doing dishes were tucked under on the backseat floors, as well as a rolled up sleeping bag. Since I could only enter the car from one side, shoes came off immediately and they went on the floor too. I ran a rope from one side of the car to the other in the middle of the space for hanging drying towels and also hanging a battery powered lantern that could be slid from side to side in the back as I needed it to be.

I put down a piece of wood 1" thick, and then laid a rug and a foam mattress (cut in two) on it, wrapped it in a bottom sheet and then had three blankets on top of that, along with my pillow, of course.

I was actually quite comfortable.

In the mid 80s, I had a telescope and went out for weekends with my astronomy club and did stargazing, and then in the mid 90s, I did some SAR work and we would have weekend drills, so I was already used to getting together all the things I needed to be comfortable. I finally got another telescope again last fall, so I'm in the process of refitting the car into a camper again for weekend stargazing treks. Problem is, I sold and/or gave away most of my stuff when I moved in here, so basically, I'd be buying everything to outfit the car again. This is my dream purchase:

Amazon.com : Camp Chef Camping Outdoor Oven with 2 Burner Camping Stove : Portable Propane Oven : Kitchen & Dining

Old 05-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm in the process of refitting the car into a camper again for weekend stargazing treks.

Amazon.com : Camp Chef Camping Outdoor Oven with 2 Burner Camping Stove : Portable Propane Oven : Kitchen & Dining

I think, and you sound handy, you can do better than that. Rodentraiser, how are you at fixing things up? Most of the time you find a stove it is a problem with o rings. You clean everything else, get an O ring from someone like well:

O-Rings - Standard AS568, ISO 3601 | Apple Rubber Products

and you are good to go even with an old stove. Honest it just takes being good with a tape measure.

You can find people with great stoves that are just not working, need an update on the seals. check the e-bay

best wishes,

TBS

Old 05-28-2016, 02:42 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I'm inventive, but I'm all thumbs at trying to fix anything. Anyway, it's the oven I want as much as the stove. If you're car camping, then a lot of stuff can be made with dry goods and baked in the oven.

It's a pipe dream though, because I can't really afford that right now anyway. I need - OK, I don't need, but I would like very, very, VERY much - to get a new focuser for the telescope. If I decide to take off for a stargazing weekend right now, I can still use my old stove (single burner canister style) that I kept in my backpack for doing SAR.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
VERY much - to get a new focuser for the telescope. If I decide to take off for a stargazing weekend right now, I can still use my old stove (single burner canister style) that I kept in my backpack for doing SAR.
What kind of focuser are you looking for?
Astronomy has been an in and out hobby of mine for decades. I also, on occasion, head up to a popular, local dark site and camp with my scope.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #15
Senior Cook

So, just cause this went out into astronomy... Wife and I lived in Oklahoma for a while and really enjoyed camping in Big Bend, which is one of a couple of good dark places. Another is Cherry Springs state park here in PA. Going to go visit that, now that we are out in PA

Love to see you on the trails or in camp, bring your telescope, I'll make some camp food up.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:54 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
What kind of focuser are you looking for?
Astronomy has been an in and out hobby of mine for decades. I also, on occasion, head up to a popular, local dark site and camp with my scope.
I think this one:

GSO 1.25" Crayford Focuser (with 176mm base plate) for Reflectors - Single Speed

I have a helical focuser now and I'd like to upgrade it to a rack and pinion one. However, the racked in height of the one I want to replace is 2" and the cheap focuser from Orion I was looking at buying had a racked in height of 3.25".

That Agena one is the closest one I've found so far. A Crayford would be even better, but staying under $100 is pretty much a necessity.

The last time this happened I had a 13" scope (Dobsonian) and replaced that helical focuser with a rack and pinion one with a different racked in height. The result was I couldn't focus in on anything, so the end of the telescope had to be cut off and the mirror moved up, which necessitated moving up the altitude bearings.

I'm not wanting to go through that again with this scope. What I have now is an old Orion 8" f/6, complete with sonotube, and I think it could be a really good scope for me with a few upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
So, just cause this went out into astronomy... Wife and I lived in Oklahoma for a while and really enjoyed camping in Big Bend, which is one of a couple of good dark places. Another is Cherry Springs state park here in PA. Going to go visit that, now that we are out in PA

Love to see you on the trails or in camp, bring your telescope, I'll make some camp food up.
If I ever get to your neck of the woods, I'll take you up on that offer.

I always went to Fremont Peak when I lived in the Bay Area in California. I really miss that. Here the only viewing place I've found short of driving 70 miles to the top of a mountain is a place in the local cemetery. If the dead don't mind, I don't!
Old 05-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #17
Master Chef

I've purchased stuff from Agena before, including a 2" GSO focuser for my 12" Meade dob. They are a good company to deal with.
Your f6 scope is a nice all around scope that's easy to lug around. I had a Parks 6" f6 on a alt-az pedestal mount which I sold recently. It had a horrible focuser but I didn't want to put money into it. In a way I miss that scope. It had a really good primary.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Thanks! I was told the mirrors on those old Orions were pretty good. And yeah, with my back the way it is, I need my scope to be easy to lug around. There was a time I could lift that 13", but no more. Good to know that about Agena.

Oh, I thought I better keep this thread on topic - the telescope lives in the car and it is also part of my kit now.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #19
Master Chef

I took this photo yesterday before setting up camp. Part of my kit is a 40oz Klean Kanteen water bottle (nested with my cooking pot)

Old 05-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Nice looking bike! I just finally got mine fixed up, and my wife bought herself one.

TBS