Can I can cold salsa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elsiesmom

Assistant Cook
My sister came out with a gigantic bowl of a corn/bean salsa and it is wonderful.... but there is way too much to keep good for long. Every time I see anything about canning, it appears that everything put in the jar is hot? Can a cold item be canned> I know this sounds silly, but I have never canned anything before.

No, it would have to be cooked and then probably pressure canned. You can freeze it with some success.

Gretchen is right ... canned salsa is cooked before putting into jars and then it is either canned using a boiling-water canner, or pressure canner, depending on the acid level (the recipe).

For something like a black bean and corn salsa ... which is usually not acidic enough for a water canner .... I would just freeze it. Canning would probably change the flavor and texture more than you want - it certainly wouldn't be anything like the fresh salsa you enjoyed. Freezing will change the texture a little - but nothing like canning would.

elsiesmom said:
My sister came out with a gigantic bowl of a corn/bean salsa and it is wonderful.... but there is way too much to keep good for long. Every time I see anything about canning, it appears that everything put in the jar is hot? Can a cold item be canned> I know this sounds silly, but I have never canned anything before.

Blast some of it in the blender.Add a tomato or two, a little veg. stock, and a hot chili pepper. Cook for 20 minutes and serve with chopped coriander leaf and some freshly fried tortilla chips. " Sopa Azteca!!"

Warm it through gently, add a little cumin powder, a little hot red pepper, some coriander powder, and some half & half Cream mixed with yoghurt.
"Bhutta!"

Mix with some fresh red bell pepper, finely diced. Add a little garlic and some olive oil.- "Pasta Sauce"

Mix it with some freshly cooked minced beef. Cook until fairly dry then use it to stuff :
Peppers
More Peppers
Hot Peppers
Zucchini
Beefsteak Tomatoes
Cabbage leaves

Make some pastry and roll out into 3" wide rounds. Place a little bean/salsa/ minced beef mix in the middle, fold over like half moons, dampen the edges with a wet fork to close, deep fry for "Empanadas".

Hi Clive ... looks like you're the guy to see for salsa, too?!

How about your best shot at a really nice, hot "mexican" salsa if you please? And, please, do tell me how I should best can it ...

Thanks!

You still have to do the hot water bath step...but it will only slightly change the appearance of the salsa. I can salsa all the time. Keep it on the shelf till you are ready to use it, then toss a jar into the fridge.

Ayrton said:
Hi Clive ... looks like you're the guy to see for salsa, too?!

How about your best shot at a really nice, hot "mexican" salsa if you please? And, please, do tell me how I should best can it ...

Thanks!

One of my favourites is to take ( and there are NO exact measures here - it called "ojoporciento" over here; the amount that looks and tastes good to you!) a few ( 3-4 ) fresh, bright red tomatoes; 1/2 a small red onion, chopped; a guajillo or New Mexican chile, toasted over an open flame, seeds removed then crumbled; 2 fresh green serrano chiles, finely chopped; lime or lemon juice; a pinch or to of cumin powder; a good tbsp of freshly chopped cilantro, sea salt, a large bottle of tequila.
Chop the tomatoes into a small dice and dump in a large bowl with the chopped onion, the crumbled chile, the serranos, the lime juice ( to taste) the cumin, the cilantro and a tsp of sea salt. mix together roughly then taste. Ok - a bit more of this, a bit more of that? Adjust to your liking .

Leave the salsa for about an hour - this will help the flavours to develop.

Meanwhile, open the tequila...:LOL: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom