Canned pumpkin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just curious but what's the best way to keep canned pumpkin after open? I put it in the fridge for now, but should I freeze it? How long will it keep?

Put it in a freezer bag, freeze it.
Or make a batch of pumpkin bread, and freeze that.

Dogs love it, and it's a good cure when the have loose stools -- but just the plain variety, not the one with pie spices in it.

I wouldn't know. I never make it to the point of not using it! :ROFLMAO:

Oh man, I lOVE pumpkin. Make a batch of pumpkin pie ice cream (drool!). :ROFLMAO:

I remember seeing a pumpkin recipe book, but I can't remember which website it was; maybe Amazon. Please tell us what you decided to do with the leftover canned pumpking.

;)

Linda

Oh man, I lOVE pumpkin. Make a batch of pumpkin pie ice cream (drool!). :ROFLMAO:

I remember seeing a pumpkin recipe book, but I can't remember which website it was; maybe Amazon. Please tell us what you decided to do with the leftover canned pumpking.

;)

Linda
mmm pumpkin ice cream...Can't say I've ever tried it, but it sounds delicoius...unfortunately I can't afford an ice cream maker:(. I will indeed let you guys know.

But for now I will enjoy my chocolate chip pumpkin bread.

According to Will It Freeze, whose name I always hear in my head being chanted by a game show audience, which in turn makes looking things up kind of exciting, pumpkin will last in the freezer for 1 year. I freeze mine in 2/3 cup increments because the recipe I make most often with pumpkin calls for that amount. I portion the pumpkin out on to a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and freeze it until solid, then pack it into freezer bags. I recently got a foodsaver, so I'll package it using that in the future to cut down on freezer burn. HTH :)

mmm pumpkin ice cream...Can't say I've ever tried it, but it sounds delicoius...unfortunately I can't afford an ice cream maker:(. I will indeed let you guys know.

But for now I will enjoy my chocolate chip pumpkin bread.

I got this from the "Home Icecream makers" thread. GENIUS!

Sorry, I use ice, small rock salt and a couple of ziplock bags. Works great.

put ice and salt in one large ziplock, put the ice cream mixture in the other. Place the ice cream bag in side the ice bag and agitate for 10 to 15 minutes.

Makes pretty good ice cream...

Last edited:
Mmmmm, pumpkin ice cream......
I used leftover canned pumpkin to make soup. Usually I make it with a combo of butternut squash, veggie broth, coconut milk, mild curry, some kind of white bean, and a bit of salt. I serve it with some crisp-tart apples cubed on top, and a small drizzle of walnut oil. My 10-year-old devours it and asks for seconds. I can post the whole recipe, if you like, as it is my own.

Not the specifics of your recipe, but the general use of coconut milk, curry and apple reminds me of some dishes from India I've seen on TV recently. Your dish does sound wonderful! I'm just learning to appreciate soups that are made from foods that we don't normally associate with a flavorful soup.

You can also eat it like you would mashed sweet potatoes, as a side dish, with a dollop of butter on it.

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom