Canning soup with rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbrunink

Assistant Cook
I would like to can chicken an rice soup but I heard on time you can not can things with rice in them. Is that true? You can by canned chicken and rice soup in the store so it seems like you could can it yourself:(

You cannot properly "can" items containing pastas, flour, or rice or any thickeners such as cornstarch, flour, arrowroot or tapioca. You can find more information and answers by going to the National Center for Home Food Preservation.

Yes, big companies can do it because they have much more specialized equipment that and do not 'can' things the same way it must be done at home. They also may spend years doing testing in their research laboraties to find the right procedure and recipe.

You can 'can' it but it gets mushy, lousy texture.
I 'canned' apple pie filling last year, it isn't pretty AT ALL, I wouldn't suggest it (with cornstarch). They say you can 'can' it with products like 'sure jell'.
For soups, make them can them and then add pasta or rice when you heat them up to eat.
And, yes, I'm the 'can can' girl--I work for a company that makes, of all things, CANS!~Bliss

I think you have confused 'sure jell' with ClearJel® which is the only USDA approved thickener for canning purposes and is used extensively in the bakery business for pies.

I think you have confused 'sure jell' with ClearJel® which is the only USDA approved thickener for canning purposes and is used extensively in the bakery business for pies.
Quite probably! I can see me standing in the grocery aisle trying to read the fine print on the product without my reading glasses!
Wonder why I was thinking of sure jell?! ~Bliss

Back
Top Bottom