Freezing Alfredo Sauce from a Jar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudepower1982

Assistant Cook
I've been having some trouble figuring out how to preserve alfredo sauce, the kind that already comes in a jar (made by Classico).

Is it safe to freeze it? What would I store it in, if I put it in the freezer -- a piece of plastic tupperware, or something else?

Also, when I'm ready to thaw it, would there be a way to do so without it getting all watery and icky during the thawing process?

I've never dealt with the jarred stuff. Homemade is too easy.

That being said, freezing homemade sauce results in a sauce that breaks down when thawed. I don't know if the extra 'stuff' they put into jarred sauce will keep that from happening.

Freeze it in any convenient container including plastic freezer bags. Defrost in the fridge. Heat gently and serve. If it does breakdown, you can still use it, it just won't look very appetizing.

Cream sauces, like Alfredo, tend to "break" when frozen and then thawed. Yes, there are some frozen dishes that have "cream sauces" - but the "sauce" has a lot of specialized stuff that you probably do not have access to like xanthan or gauer gums among other things.

If you want to freeze jarred Alfredo - do like Andy said ... thaw and then heat gently. Best bet would be using a double boiler and a whisk - the double boiler will insure gentle heating and the frequent whisking will allow reincorporating the fat into an emulsion.

Back
Top Bottom