"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 10-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Packaging Horseradish

Hello everybody:)

I am new here because I need advice from experienced canners.
I have recently discovered that the horseradish I grow and process for my own consumption is in demand. I had never even thought to package it for retail sales but this opportunity has even caused me to increase my harvest potential for next year.

So, my problem now is processing to meet retail standards however horseradish should not be processed the way current standards require(no heat).
I checked the USDA website and the current home canning method is infact place prepared horseradish in sterilized jars with vinegar solution and seal with sterilized lids.. thats it, besides refrigerate for upto to 2 months.

The problem arises with stores wanting the canning lids to be sealed the way other preserves are. I'd like to know if there is some way I can get the mason jars to seal 'properly'.

Thanks very much for any advice!

primal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Head Chef
I find it intriguing that you want to do something that requires companies to spend millions of dollars in research and even more in specialized equipment.

Unfortunately in the USA that is against the law according to all health laws, but Canadian laws may be a little more flexible. I would suggest you check your local health laws and requirements for selling home processed foods to the public. Off the top of my head I would think that one requirement will be doing it in some sterile environment other than your own home kitchen.

That being said, here is a canning recipe for horseradish:

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Pickle

Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have.
mcnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
It's not about undermining companies and their modern and sometimes poor practices.. though i do understand what you are saying take sauerkraut as an example, all processed sauerkraut on the market today is poor quality compared with the stuff you buy in a bucket at a good delicatessen.
My horseradish is the same, an old world product, vinegar and horseradish, thats it, no unnecessary salt or anything else.. and prepared properly it lasts in the fridge as long as any other horseradish on the market.

I have started searching online for Canadian requirements but of course it takes time, i was hoping there would be Canadian canners on this forum to guide me through the process to becoming a legal producer while at the same time not sacrificing the quality of my product. I do have access to an up to code kitchen where i process, the main issue is still sealing the jars without heating the horseradish.. one woman suggested using the jars that 'wire hinge' closed and then label across the lid and bottle to prove it was never reopened after it was packaged..

Thanks for the link though:)
primal1 is offline   Reply With Quote