Pepper Hash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
12 sweet red peppers
12 green peppers
12 white onions
3 red hot peppers
3 tablespoons salt
2 cups white sugar
2 cups vinegar

Grind peppers and onions fine and place in kettle. Pour boiling water over this and drain at once. Next, add the salt, sugar and vinegar and boil for 15 minutes. This old recipe was for "open kettle", so instructions for a boiling water bath need to be found.

Really, I do not see it as that much. If you think of whole peppers, most of the area taken up is air. Seeded and chopped and then boiled for 15 minutes it would probably be about 4 quarts. 2 cups of vinegar for 4 quarts seems about right.

The question was asked, my experienced answer was given. One can always ask Elizabeth Andress at the National Center for Home Food Preservation for her opinion.

I also see lots of water being generated when the salt is added which will further dilute the mix. Processing time for similar items is 10 minutes in a Boiling Water Bath. Additional time wouldn't help any since no amount of boiling would kill the what I am concerned about.

We're looking for a processing time for this old open kettle recipe. If you will note in the instructions, the peppers are already partially cooked by pouring the boiling water over and then draining.

Perhaps the answer would be to ask Ms. Andress.

The question was asked, my experienced answer was given. One can always ask Elizabeth Andress at the National Center for Home Food Preservation for her opinion.

I also see lots of water being generated when the salt is added which will further dilute the mix. Processing time for similar items is 10 minutes in a Boiling Water Bath. Additional time wouldn't help any since no amount of boiling would kill the what I am concerned about.

No attack, just a free exchange of experiences. I was curious if you had found my beliefs to not be the case.

I did not take offense...I was glad to get the idea. I have contacted Ms. Andress, and hope to hear from her when she has time.

Back
Top Bottom