Pickled beets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have a bunch of beets and some of them are starting to go off. So, I want to make a large batch of pickled beets before any more go off. The ingredients are beets, water, vinegar, and sugar. It's a Danish recipe, so I'm not asking for recipes for pickling beets.

I will have enough that I will need to can them. I figure a boiling water bath should be good enough, since there is vinegar and sugar. How do I figure out how long to can them for? Or does it really need to be pressure canned? I don't have a pressure canner, so if it is necessary, I will refrigerate them instead.

We add some sliced onions, bay leaf, and cloves; and, instead of plain water, use some of the cooking water / beet juice to cut the acidity of the vinegar. I imagine the food police will be along shortly to discourage your canning of the pickled beets :).

Process 30 minutes in boiling water
bath.

904.gif

Last edited:
I like pickled beets. I don't know anything about canning, but I'll help you eat them! :ROFLMAO:

Oops, I'd better change shirts first!

I imagine the food police will be along shortly to discourage your canning of the pickled beets :).
I hear no sirens in the distance.....as long as the amount of water (or other liquid) does NOT exceed the amount of vinegar used. And, yes, 30 minutes would be the appropriate time in a Boiling Water Canner.

I love using brown sugar instead of regular white.

MMMMM pickled beets, yum!

Thank Goodness the food police are here--people giving good advice, to serve and protect. When serving and protecting are bad things, I'll let you know.

We add some sliced onions, bay leaf, and cloves; and, instead of plain water, use some of the cooking water / beet juice to cut the acidity of the vinegar. I imagine the food police will be along shortly to discourage your canning of the pickled beets :).

Using the cooking water is a good idea, but I won't be using it this time. I'm going to bake the beets. The tops are cut too short, the little "tails" are mostly cut off and there are cuts in the skin. I would lose far too much good stuff into the cooking water. Danes do their best to make sure that beets don't leak while cooking ;)

I hear no sirens in the distance.....as long as the amount of water (or other liquid) does NOT exceed the amount of vinegar used. And, yes, 30 minutes would be the appropriate time in a Boiling Water Canner.

I love using brown sugar instead of regular white.

Thank you.

That's what it says in Joy of Cooking, but it was published in 1975 (the newer one doesn't have any info for canning). I noticed people, in another thread, mentioning that there is new research, so I wanted to be sure.

Yes there was new research conclusions in the 1990's and most of the canning recipes and books were republished. It had to do mostly with the Botulism spore and what it took to kill it, plus I'm sure there was a general update reference to the pasteurizing process whether it was using a Boiling Water Canner or a Pressure Canner.

Lots of people (and recipes) out there that don't use/support the pasteurizing process for safety. Newbies need to know the correct process, but its up to the individual to decide on whether to follow it or not.

i just opened a jar of baby beets that i put up 9 years ago, and it was fine to my surprise. they were boiled and peeled, then water bath canned, with sugar, salt, bay, black pepper, and clove.

it was a little on the softer side, but it was ok nonetheless.

i also found a few jars of pickled jalapenos, onions, and cherry tomatoes. i'll post results when i open them.

Excuse me, but are these "beets" beetroot or some other? If it's beetroot, then I have a fine pickled beetroot recipe from Ismail Merchant's Indian Cuisine which I've made to great success. The book is mislaid but I can find it later to share.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom