Pickled Beets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
I had a passel of beets this year so decided to pickle a few, and I roasted the rest with the plan of freezing them. (I'm getting to be a roasted beet addict and have always loved pickled beets with a non-thickened liquid.) After using the pickled beets, I may pickle some eggs in the left-over briny-sweet juice. The beets that I grew this year are Detroit Dark Red beets. They have a natural sweetness that really does well with roasting! I hope they do as well canned in pickling brine!

Attachments

• Garden-Fresh Pickled Beets.jpg
    Garden-Fresh Pickled Beets.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Those are beautiful. Have you ever tried adding "heat" to pickled beets? One of our neighbours gave us some Chinese vinegar with lots of tiny, hot peppers. Stirling makes pickled beets with that vinegar and loves it.

My mother always made pickled beets along with Harvard Beets. I could never decide which I liked better. Just so long as they are beets. I am presently on a kick of sliced beets with Hidden Valley dressing as a snack. :angel:

Those are beautiful. Have you ever tried adding "heat" to pickled beets? One of our neighbours gave us some Chinese vinegar with lots of tiny, hot peppers. Stirling makes pickled beets with that vinegar and loves it.

I've not tried heating them up. My favorite ways to eat beets are roasted, which brings out the most wonderful sweetness, and pickled. I also made some beet chips this year, which were devoured by my friends and me. :yum:

My Favorite Snack Item - Pickled beets and eggs !

I love the eggs soaked in beet juice. My grandmother got me addicted to them! Plus, they are so pretty.

So pretty! I love pickled beets.

Thanks! I love them too.

My mother always made pickled beets along with Harvard Beets. I could never decide which I liked better. Just so long as they are beets. I am presently on a kick of sliced beets with Hidden Valley dressing as a snack. :angel:

Do you cook the beets are eat them raw with the dressing???

They all look wonderful, love beets :)

Thanks, Kylie.

Last edited:
No. I buy the little cans (house brand) of veggies. Veggies are my snack items. Much healthier than chips, etc. Once in a while I will buy about four or five fresh beets, cook up the greens, and the beets, slice them and stick them in the fridge. I try to make them last but every time I open the fridge, they just jump out and into my mouth. With the cans, I drain them thoroughly and will often add a can of French cut green beans. I love vegetables. But to be cooking them fresh at 11 p.m. is more work than I am willing to do. And the little cans are just the right size for a snack. The one veggies I refuse to eat from a can are carrots. I do cook them up fresh and slice them. Sometimes I will make a white sauce for them and have over toast. I also will cook up a head of broccoli. Or a whole bag of frozen. HV dressing over that also. I hate those little already peeled little carrots. They have such a nasty taste and texture to my mouth.

I am having that old bugaboo problem of not eating again. Right now I am eating only once a day. Mostly around 11 at night. I'll be happy if I just stick with that and it is veggies. At least I am eating something. :angel:

...and I roasted the rest with the plan of freezing them. (I'm getting to be a roasted beet addict and have always loved pickled beets with a non-thickened liquid.)...

Will you just look at all those jars of red wine jelly? :LOL: Nice looking beets Kathleen. And I am with you on roasted beets. Pretty much roasted anything veggie. Whenever I roast Brussels sprouts for Himself and me I have to do at least a pound - and there are never any left. Roasting adds such a nice richness to the flavor. Congrats on your hard work.

Back
Top Bottom