"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 05-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Question Pickled Cheese

I figure while I'm bothering people for pickled weiner recipes I should try for the pickled cheese one, they make really good ones at St Alberts but I would like to make it myself. Any ideas?

Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Master Chef
Is it firm & cubed or soft & round?

I LOVE what I can only call "Italian Cheese Salad", which consists of cubes of different firm cheeses (cheddar, mozzarella, monterey jack, swiss, provolone, etc.) cut into bite-size cubes & marinated along with cubed salami, hot peppers, etc., in an oil & red-wine vinegar dressing.

I've also enjoyed small rounds of herbed goat cheese that have been marinated in olive oil. Also enjoy the commercially-made jars of cubes of feta or blue cheese in a Greek herbed olive oil.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Senior Cook
Pickled Cheese?
Now THAT'S a new one. Is it really soft and slimey with a sour taste?
Or is the pickling put into the cheese when it is made like cheese fudge is.

Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
Senior Cook
no, no slime, it's usually either in cubes or strings and its in some kind of pickling solution in a jar. I first had it at a bar where my dad was trying to convince me it wouldn't kill me, now I'm hooked, prob is to buy it it is hugely expensive and you don't get much so been trying to figure out how to make it but mistakes with cheese can get expensive so am trying to get some suggestions.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
Master Chef
Looks like pickled cheese is as old as the Roman occupation of England ... or older. You might try one of these sites that have pickled cheese recipes.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
Contest Winner
Hmmm... interesting.

Well, feta often comes packed in brine, so I guess it's not that hard to fathom other kinds. Might have to try some... I love pickles and I love cheese so it stands to reason that i'd love pickled cheese! Hehe.
~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
Master Chef
Definitely NOT slimy at all!!!

Although I don't have a jar in the fridge at the moment, all the supermarkets around here carry the marinated cubed blue cheese & the cubed feta cheese. The marinade is a very tasty herbed oil - oregano, pink peppercorns, etc., etc., & in itself makes a nice salad addition, which is what I use the cheese cubes on anyway. Same for the goat cheese rounds.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how it's made except for one older recipe that I would be leery to make due to botulism issues.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
Jaques Pepin is featured today at npr dot org and he talks breifly about pickling cheese in wine in a jar and food processing it with garlic and also glazing it in aa broiler. Great article.
elfmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:56 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Welcome to DC. You do realize this thread is almost 10 years old.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #10
Head Chef
Whats cool, is that the article he is referring to is recent , and applies to the thread. Definitely dug deep to find it, but Im glad he did. Learn something new every day.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote