What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually this time of year I'm starting to get tired of preparing tomatoes for sauce for the freezer. This year we're barely getting enough for eating fresh off the vine. Boo Hoo. Be careful of what you complain about!

Hi Claire!!!

Got the eggplant and garlic roasting in the oven for this:

{Eggplant} Polpette di Melanzane - The Free Range Life

Gonna freeze the eggplant balls.
Gosh-darn if this isn't good. I have never made these (or eaten them) before. Now, mind you, I used about 1/2 c of limpa bread crumbs because I found a partial loaf in the freezer. So toasted that to dry it out (actually, I threw it in the dehydrator for an hour at 135), made it in to crumbs. I also roasted a head of garlic and added that to the crumbs. I also added some toasted/roasted tomatillos because I had those, roasted onion and regular onion, some sourdough bread crumbs. YUM!!! Grated some lemon zest and orange zest. So good, easy, good, freeze well, inexpensive when eggplant is in season (or in the garden). I bet you could leave the cheese out if you don't have it, it adds a dimension, possibly sub nutritional yeast or maybe grated paneer. Gotta see if I can sneak these by the DH--he doesn't like eggplant. I don't know that the average person would know these are eggplant "balls" vs. turkey or chicken balls...

Last edited:
Usually this time of year I'm starting to get tired of preparing tomatoes for sauce for the freezer. This year we're barely getting enough for eating fresh off the vine.

Same here. I broke down and bought a lug of Romas and a lug of field tomatoes because all I have on my plants are green tomatoes that have been sitting like that for weeks. They're under plastic, but we could get a hard freeze any time. (Another) weird year. Even the cherry tomatoes aren't ripening.

Ten pts. of green beans cooling in the canner and another two qt. in the dehydrator. A load of Fiesta Corn Relish that I built yesterday is next. And a tray of peaches in the freezer that will be mixed with other frozen fruit for 'smoothie packs'.

Those do sound good, CWS...I love eggplant!
Easy, PF. I am freezing them so I have "meatballs" for sauce, but one can make them and eat them with sauce, without, probably would be good in a "meatball" sandwich. The texture is very much like that of a chicken or turkey meatball.

Of topic with a smile. I am in the middle of pickling tomatoes, they usually take between two and three weeks. i have to admit fermenting process stinks. My wife calls me yesterday the moment she walks in the house and tells me it's either her or tomatoes. Of course dear, I understand, tomatoes it is ;)
Well, I did go to store and bought $40 worth of scented candles. She decided to stay. :LOL:

Last edited:
Of topic with a smile. I am in the middle of pickling tomatoes, they usually take between two and three weeks. i have to admit fermenting process stinks. My wife calls me yesterday the moment she walks in the house and tells me it's either her or tomatoes. Of course dear, I understand, tomatoes it is ;)
Well, I did go to store and bought $40 worth of scented candles. She decided to stay. :LOL:

:LOL:;) What a guy! No wonder she decided to stay! :angel:

I canned 26 pints of salsa Saturday,
It came out beautiful.I used the usual
Ingredients and added black beans and
corn.

Josie
What are the usual ingredients you use? Mine are:

various tomatoes (romas, yellow German, brandywine, grape and cherry, green tomatoes, beef steak)
tomatillos
onion
garlic
roasted cumin
coriander seeds--ground
smoked chilpolte peppers
jalapeno peppers
cayenne peppers
roasted cinnamon
a bit of brown sugar
a bit of cider vinegar
sweet pepper
cucumber (1)
lime juice (fresh) about 1/2 cup for 8 c tomatoes
fresh cilantro--added at the end

I don't have a recipe, I roast about 4 c of tomatoes, jalapenos, tomatillos, onion, and garlic tossed with a bit of EVOO, cayenne pepper, a bit of salt, garlic, roasted ground cumin, a sprinkle of cinnamon. I just make the salsa to taste and then process it for 20 minutes in an open water bath or put it in zippys and put it in the freezer. When I put corn or beans in, I freeze it because I can't be bothered to drag out the pressure canner.

Last edited:
This is my second foray into authentic New Mexican cooking. I bought, along with many other Spanish folks, a case of Hatch chiles and stood in line at the grocery to have them roasted on the spot. They are safely in the freezer. Will do another case tomorrow. Meanwhile I have a batch of green chile sauce on the stove.

What are the usual ingredients you use? Mine are:

various tomatoes (romas, yellow German, brandywine, grape and cherry, green tomatoes, beef steak)
tomatillos
onion
garlic
roasted cumin
coriander seeds--ground
smoked chilpolte peppers
jalapeno peppers
cayenne peppers
roasted cinnamon
a bit of brown sugar
a bit of cider vinegar
sweet pepper
cucumber (1)
lime juice (fresh) about 1/2 cup for 8 c tomatoes
fresh cilantro--added at the end

I don't have a recipe, I roast about 4 c of tomatoes, jalapenos, tomatillos, onion, and garlic tossed with a bit of EVOO, cayenne pepper, a bit of salt, garlic, roasted ground cumin, a sprinkle of cinnamon. I just make the salsa to taste and then process it for 20 minutes in an open water bath or put it in zippys and put it in the freezer. When I put corn or beans in, I freeze it because I can't be bothered to drag out the pressure canner.

I use the same veggies you use except for the hot peppers, We don't like it hot.I use Mrs Wages seasoning mix.I do use the pressure cooker.
The beans and corn I had canned previously but I still used pressure.

Josie

I use the same veggies you use except for the hot peppers, We don't like it hot.I use Mrs Wages seasoning mix.I do use the pressure cooker.
The beans and corn I had canned previously but I still used pressure.

Josie
What's in Mrs Wages? I found it online where one could buy it, but not the ingredients list. We love hot!

What's in Mrs Wages? I found it online where one could buy it, but not the ingredients list. We love hot!

Lot of spices and dried peppers . I dont have the ingredient list. I think it has dried cilantro in it , But I use fresh cilantro also.We like warm but not hot.

Josie

DH's company owns Mrs. Wages, I'll have to ask him. It appears it's all-natural, and has a 5 star rating on Amazon. I've used other Mrs. Wages products, will have to try the salsa mix.

Last edited:

Ah, I found some:
ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1410463937.347737.jpg

Yesterday I made 3 pints of red pickled cabbage (only had one head of red cabbage). It is very pretty and I think I will be able to use it as a side for pork or turn it into Norwegian sweet and sour red cabbage. Tonight I have 3 heads of chopped green cabbage sweating for pickled cabbage. Seven racks of tomatoes dehydrating, and a pot of tomato sauce simmering. Tomorrow I'm going to try freezing Swiss Chard leaves for dolmas. I refuse to haul produce home from the farm--it WILL get processed here. I have until Sunday at 1:00 p.m. to get everything done, the kitchen cleaned, the floors vacuumed and mopped. Oh, and the car loaded.

Everything froze the other night so we salvaged what we could. And I had half a lug of ripe peaches and about 40 lbs. ripe romas and slicing tomatoes. Made three eggplant, zucchini and tomato tians to freeze and a batch of peach chipotle jam. A big batch of salsa, some harissa sauce, peach-jalapeno chutney, a gallon or so of tomatoes and sweet peppers to can and about the same amount of tomatoes for pizza sauce are simmering down on the cookstove.

My feet hurt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom