What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Busy weekend in the kitchen. Froze 4 quarts of beef stock, rendered 500 ml of beef fat, made 5 liters of b&b pickles, 7 pints of salsa, and froze about 40 cobs of corn...got another 50-60 to do today, and oh froze 5 liters of broccoli. Where did the weekend go?

Into the freezer. :angel:

Charlie, you can freeze your tomatoes rather than pickle them, if you have the freezer space.

I know, but they won't get used. Pickled tomatoes I would do it anyways, but latter in the season. I would have to go buy the tomatoes then, now they are free and they are mine. So, I am not really complaining.

I had about 9ish pounds of tomatoes so I am making some ketchup. I'll let you know tomorrow how it tastes. :mrgreen:

I am almost ready to put the canners and stuff up for the winter. I have done roasted tomato sauce, pureed tomatoes, 'v-8' juice, strawberry jelly, green beans, pickled beans, refrigerator pickles, and I froze sweet corn and some tomatoes.

I found a recipe for maple pecan syrup that I am going to make for my Christmas baskets. I have 2 quarts of homemade maple syrup and several pounds of pecans, so all I need is the time!!

I am almost ready to put the canners and stuff up for the winter. I have done roasted tomato sauce, pureed tomatoes, 'v-8' juice, strawberry jelly, green beans, pickled beans, refrigerator pickles, and I froze sweet corn and some tomatoes.

I found a recipe for maple pecan syrup that I am going to make for my Christmas baskets. I have 2 quarts of homemade maple syrup and several pounds of pecans, so all I need is the time!!

How do you make your V-8 juice?

I've been craving some good bread and butter pickles lately, so I stopped at a local farm stand and picked up a few pounds of pickling cucumbers, got them soaking now. Looking forward to having a few jars on hand for the fall and winter :)

Usually this time of year I'm starting to get tired of preparing tomatoes for sauce for the freezer. This year we're barely getting enough for eating fresh off the vine. Boo Hoo. Be careful of what you complain about!

Usually this time of year I'm starting to get tired of preparing tomatoes for sauce for the freezer. This year we're barely getting enough for eating fresh off the vine. Boo Hoo. Be careful of what you complain about!
I hear you--we got hit with late blight...200 plants and about 1/8th of what we normally get. I broke down and bought 50 lb at a u-pick/buy picked place. I could've cried when we had to pull the plants that 2 weeks before had been the picture of perfect, loaded with fruit...I empathize with those Irish immigrants who faced the potato blight...heartbreaking. I won't be sharing any of the tomato sauce I make...cabbage, beans, zucchini, corn, kale, chard, beets and carrots, as well as winter squash have done well (as have the pumpkins...plant those for the dogs) and the sunflowers (plant those for the Girls--they are oil-seed sunflowers, not confections). NO eggplant fruit--but a friend had surplus so I got a few. And the leeks have done well.

This is the time of year I would like to kick the canning equipment down into the ravine and be done with it. DH has learned from experience that no, we don't want any more peppers or cukes donated by friends.

But now the apples from our tree are coming on.

This is the time of year I would like to kick the canning equipment down into the ravine and be done with it. DH has learned from experience that no, we don't want any more peppers or cukes donated by friends.

But now the apples from our tree are coming on.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:I can relate. The DH suggested I pick and freeze more beans before he left on a business trip yesterday...my response:huh:, really? I would trade beans for tomatoes...but more beans, really?!!

I was watching New Scandinavian Cooking the other day. Andreas took halibut, covered it with a bunch of fresh herbs, and then put sliced cucumber in the roasting pan to add cucumber juice to the fish, at the 15 minute mark (I think he said 20 minutes at 400), he added 1/2 c white wine (don't know why that wouldn't work with any mild white fish, including walleye if I had a surplus of walleye).

I also caught a Marcus Samuelson segment (love him--I could just take him home) the other day--he had a bunch of what he called spring veggies (more like fall here--carrots, beets, green onions) that he was cooking in butter and oil in a pan. When they were almost done, he splashed some pickle juice in...said that was his Grandma Helga's (or is that Helge) trick (southern Sweden). So if you've put up dill pickles, that's another thing to do with the brine (i freeze it if I don't drink it--it also makes a mean martini instead of vermouth...with a spear of a dill pickle instead of an olive or two).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom