"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 12-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

When making sauerkraut, do you cover

I have one more batch of kraut to make. I usually make mine in jars but I am trying it in a crock this time. After I salt & pack in crock, cover with a plate & weighted down. Do I cover the plate with a tight fitting lid or should I allow for air to get into the crock? Thanks for everyone that has helped me. If any of my kraut is a success I am going to write all this down. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Let some air in. Your cabbage is fermenting, so you have to let air out, too. I always make in a 5 gallon crock, and don't use a plate. I have a piece of cotton twill (like mattress ticking) a little larger than the mouth of the crock, and put it over the top, then insert a wooden lid that is small enough to fit loosely, with the cloth coming up around it. Large rock on top of lid. Every day or two, I take the rock and lid off, and rinse the cloth. I also wipe down the inside surface of the crock that is above the cabbage/water level, then replace all.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks very much!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:54 AM   #4
Cook

I use a plate weighted down with a brick in a 5gal crock. I just make sure the water is above the plate by about "..that gives me room to revoves the skum off the top once every few days.