What's Your Favorite Ethnic food Category?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Favorite Ethnic Food Category

• Total voters

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
What's your favorite ethnic food aside from the one you grew up with?

I've created major categories in the interest of brevity so feel free to elaborate in a post after you vote.

Last edited:
Absolutely - Mexican - I could eat it three times a day/seven days a week. Beans, beef/chicken, along the border food, although I would like to try other regions of Mexico. I guess I am really a Tex-Mex fan.

I Chose Chinese primarily because , by far, when we go out, thats usually what we get. Also, for the last 30 years I've had an addiction to hot and sour soup. I get it at least once a week.

That being said, Indian is a close second. Due to the intense and unique spices, i dont eat it as frequently. But, its unusualness ( of thats a word) is what draws me to it. Each time I get a new dish, its like tasting something completely new, with nothing to compare it too.

I have been branching out to other Asian foods ( Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, Burmese...). Although I like them a lot, I haven't experienced enough variety yet to claim them as my favorite.

Italian is probably what I cook at home the most. I grow a lot of tomatoes, and got to use them somehow. Im still working on last years batch. I froze over 40 quarts of strained tomato puree.

Being vegetarian, and my wife ( now recently turning vegan), restricts me from really experiencing some cuisines. Therefore, I have to concentrate on those that I can really get a decent variety of flavors.

Interesting and fun poll, Andy!

Being a native of the southwest, Mexican was definitely the first to come to mind. Love, love, love it - and I never get tired of it. :yum:

edited* I didn't really grow up with Mexican food, but in my adult life have discovered a passion for Mexican inspired dishes.

Last edited:
Being born in Virginia and raised in Michigan, and having lived in Virginia again for the past 33 years, naturally my favorite ethnic food is - Mexican! :ROFLMAO: I have developed a taste for heat since I was a kid and, while I also love Italian and Thai, I really gravitate to Mexican :yum:

Mexican! Love it all, from TexMex to the Yucatan and beyond!

Indian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Italian (is that ethnic?), in no particular order. Oh, and Cajun/Creole, tho I’m not sure that qualifies as “ethnic, either. I end up making Mexican food a lot, or what passes for it here in America. It’s cheap, and the ingredients are readily available, but it’s not my favorite, not even on the list.

I picked Mexican for the poll, mostly because we do it most often. I'm also quite fond of Caribbean foods. Actually I just like food, so trying to really pick one off the list as a favorite was impossible, so I just went with the ethnic type that we eat most often.

When it comes to holiday baking, I choose Scandinavian. Probably based on the foods I was brought up with, Norwegian on my dad's side and then my Danish grandma and her two sisters, one who claimed she was Swedish and the other Norwegian. How they thought they were different despite their same parents, is a hilarious mystery, But then they argued about everything, even into their 80's.

Therefore, sidestepping that, I choose Mexican. Logic.

My kids grew up with Italian and so did I. But my preference has always been New England food. I love fish, scallops, clams, big and small, or anything else that comes from the sea. The only one I won't eat is octopus. Too rubbery. But my favorite of all time will always be lobster.

When we kids were scavenging the beach for clams or lobster after a Nor'easter, I knew we were going to have a feast that night. And between storms, my mother would send me down to Central Square where the fishing fleet was located at the time. For less than a dollar I would bring home two good size Haddocks in my bicycle basket.

So other than Italian, I was never introduce to other ethnic foods. I didn't even know that was such foods of other nations. It wasn't until we moved to Chelsea, one town over, that I discovered Polish foods. And that is when my husband began to cook some of the dishes he knew and loved. Then during the time I lived in Texas, I was introduced to Tex-Mex food. It never became a favorite of mine. :)

I grew up in a South Jersey Italian home (It's Pork Roll, BT).

My food epiphany happened in the mid 70s in Port Arthur, Texas. That is where I discovered the wonderful thing called Cajun Food. Real cajun food, not what they serve as cajun food in most of America.

So, my absolute favorite ethnic food is genuine Cajun. In second place, is genuine Italian.

CD

Funny how one never sees themselves well.

Why not an option for New England, Andy? I love many foods that come from up nawth.

And all of us Squareheads are insulted that Scandinavia wasn't represented.

Last edited:
I chose Chinese..I eat a lot of Italian, but I never really considered that as ethnic because it has become such a common part of our North American diet..
What I like about Chinese cuisine is that there is so much variety and if you go to another establishment you get a whole new menu of differently prepared items..I like the thrill of adventure and anticipation that I am going to discover something I have never tasted before..

I chose Chinese..I eat a lot of Italian, but I never really considered that as ethnic because it has become such a common part of our North American diet..
What I like about Chinese cuisine is that there is so much variety and if you go to another establishment you get a whole new menu of differently prepared items..I like the thrill of adventure and anticipation that I am going to discover something I have never tasted before..

I got to know a Scandinavian BBQ guy online, and yeah, the food from Scandinavia is not very well understood. But, in fairness, some of their foods are pretty, um, unusual.

Uh, oh. My plane is starting to descend for landing. This may be my last sentence typed.

CD

Arabic food, I like kebabs, kebbe and meze. I guess that is very unpopular cuisine to like , but I love it.

Not surprising I'd choose Mexican but I don't go crazy with all the different kinds of spicy peppers as SC is a real light weight when it comes to those.

Rick Bayless is probably the guru of Mexican cuisine but he's way over my head for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom