Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f154/)
-   -   Crawfish Cornbread (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f154/crawfish-cornbread-11790.html)

Stephatthechamber 06-08-2005 09:42 PM

Crawfish Cornbread

Crawfish Cornbread - hi everyone, this is a much loved specialty that I cook for my co-workers, post office, fire department and many friends! Hope you enjoy!

Set oven to 400 degrees

Grease a square pan 8" x 8"

3 packs of Jiffy Cornbread Mix or similar
3 Eggs
1 cup evaporated milk
1 packaged crawfish tails
(may use frozen, just squeeze out excess water)
1 cup chopped onion
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can cream of corn
sliced jalapeneos on top (optional)

Bake for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour.

pdswife 06-08-2005 10:52 PM

Welcome to the group!

Michael in FtW 06-08-2005 11:57 PM

Sounds like a winner to me Steph!

Of course - you need to let folks know that an 8x8 square pan you bake cornbred in is a "cornbread skillet" (cast iron). And, to grease it you add 2-4 heaping tablespoons of bacon grease and heat it in the oven while the oven is pre-heating.

If I used buttermilk instead of evaporated milk, and left out the jalapenos ... it sounds just about like what Mom used to make.

jkath 06-09-2005 01:11 AM

Thank you for posting this! I'm sure mudbug will be around soon (she's in your neck of the woods, I believe).
Welcome to our family!

Stephatthechamber 06-09-2005 06:45 AM

Reply to all

Thanks Everyone!

I really appreciate your welcome and support! And yes, I can't wait to meet "Mudbug" and discuss if we're in the same area.

Have a great day and again, thank you!!!:smile:

IcyMist 06-09-2005 07:07 AM

Welcome to the family Steph and thanks for the recipe. Don't know if I will get up enough nerve to make it since I have never had crayfish AND never plan on slurping up the insides of the head either. :sick: :sick: :sick:

TomW 06-09-2005 07:32 AM

How tall is the 8 X 8 pan you are using? The sheer volume of ingredients makes me think the pan needs to be fairly tall.

Thanks,
Tom

kitchenelf 06-09-2005 03:12 PM

I think they are all pretty standard in height Tom. It does look like a lot of ingredients.

Icy - do you like shrimp or lobster? It tastes very, very similar. No heads in this recipe - only tail. If you like seafood I'm sure you will like this.

IcyMist 06-09-2005 03:35 PM

LOL I think I will like it to Elf have already printed a copy AND given a copy to a friend at work who has leftover crawfish tails. :)

I am willing to try quite a few things, just don't ask me to slurp bug guts please.

kitchenelf 06-09-2005 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcyMist
slurp bug guts please.

A phrase that will never be uttered from these lips!!!!!!!!! :smile: