TNT- Cottage Pudding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
This is one of my favorite desserts. It is a simple vanilla flavored snack cake served with a hot nutmeg sauce. The cake is ok by itself, but it is fantastic with the sauce. I have been making this since I was a teenager.

:) Barbara

Cottage Pudding

1 ¾ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup shortening
¾ cup sugar
1 large egg
¾ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix ingredients. Pour into greased and floured pan (8” square). Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes (until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).

Serve warm or cold with Nutmeg Sauce:

Mix together in saucepan—1 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch.

Stir in gradually—2 cups boiling water. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in 4 tablespoons butter and 2 teaspoons nutmeg. Keep hot until time to serve.

Let me know how you like it. I like to have it for dessert at night, then left-overs for breakfast the next morning!

Thanks for sharing, Barbara! I'm gonna make this sometime this weekend. I love nutmeg.

PA Baker said:
Have you ever made it with cinnamon instead of nutmeg?
No I haven't, but I'm sure it would be good. This nutmeg sauce is so good though! I have also heard of this cake being served with a lemon sauce and a vanilla sauce.

Just took the cake out of the oven and had a small piece. This is yummy!! The cake is a nice, simple cake that would be great with many different toppings - this nutmeg sauce is really good, though. Thanks, Barbara!! (DH likes it, too!)

Barbara, what's great about this recipe is that you HAVE all the stuff in your larder all the time!

What kind of "shortening" do you use?

Lee

Callie, I'm glad you liked it!

Lee, Yes, I loved that too--we always had what we needed whenever we wanted to make this. I always use Crisco shortening. Their butter flavor would probably be good too.

Back
Top Bottom